Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Watery/ orange colored blood during menstruation..
mombomommy8 posted:
This is a odd topic for me, considering I have never had any problems with my monthly cycles..I am 33, and have had seven children..4mos ago I had a miscarriage I was 6wks..it took 2mos after that for my cycle to restart, but like clockwork it started right back on track. So this is my issue, I have had my period the last 2 mos, it started on the right day but has lasted 7-8 days each time, for me that is not normal, also with these long periods they are not heavy, a few clots but it is almost watery, and more orange than red..it is the strangest thing..I have my yearly coming up on April 22nd, but would like to know if anyone has ever dealt with this? I am concerned, but need to know if I should be or if this is nothing major??~please any info would help

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear mombomommy: I am sorry for your recent miscarriage. That must have been horribly unexpected after seven healthy births.

You are correct, it is normal for it to take two months for a menstrual cycle to return after an early miscarriage or first trimester abortion. It can also be common that there can be changes in the duration or type of flow. A prolonged flow (over seven days) MIGHT mean that regular ovulations have not fully returned. Both too light flows and too heavy flows can also be prompted by temporary changes in ovulation. That the fluid is so "watery" and "orange" MIGHT suggest that there is only a small amount of uterine lining being shed which then mixes with other vaginal and cervical secretions.

A much more distant possibility would be a partial Asherman's syndrome. If you had a vigorous D&C after your miscarriage part of the base layer of uterine lining could have been interrupted. In the early stages there is very minimal to no flow, even though your hormones have returned to normal, as the lining is temporarily denuded.

Bottom line, you should ask this important question of your OB/GYN. They are in the best place to give you the most "for sure" answer.Hopefully all this is just a brief variation in your usual menstrual pattern.

Yours,
Jane

mombomommy8 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
thank you..I will take it up with him..I am curious..glad you are here, to help ease us through some unique and personal topics..

evie215 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Hi Jane,

I have encountered the same problem. My perios has been abnormally light and watery orange and it has been lasting over a 2 month period in sets of 7- 10 days. the only difference is that I have never been pregnant, haven't had a miscarriage, and I am 23 yrs old. Can the possibilities you listed above apply to me as well? I don't have health insurance so I don't know what to do.

ramber2012 replied to evie215's response:
Evie215,

I would also like to know if this same cause applies to you, since you have not had a miscarriage. Have you found out?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to ramber2012's response:
Dear ramber: It sounds like you are having frequent, light, watery, orange flows in an erratic bleeding pattern--and no miscarriage history. Hope I am tracking you correctly.

The part that would apply to you would be that a prolonged flow (over seven days) MIGHT mean that regular ovulations are not present. Both too light flows and too heavy flows can also be prompted by temporary changes in ovulation. That the fluid is so "watery" and "orange" MIGHT suggest that there is only a small amount of uterine lining being shed which then mixes with other vaginal and cervical secretions.

Some other possible causes for this type of flow can include:

1. Infection of the lining of the uterus causing the inflamed lining to shed in small amounts.

2. Polyps or fibroids inside the uterus which have triggered breakthrough bleeding.

3. Breakthrough bleeding from hormones contained in some types of birth control (eg pills/patches/ring/Mirena).

4. Precancerous conditions of the lining of the uterus. These tend to be more common in women over the age of say 35.

Ramber, if you continue to have this type of bleeding, or if you have pelvic pain, you should see a GYN or your local family planning clinic.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Fish Oil Caps
I take triple strength fish oil capsules (1400 mg) for heart health, and it has the added bonus of improving moisture in the eyes and skin. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.