Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dangers in 5th c-section...
An_193487 posted:
I have 4 beautiful children, all by c-section (none by choice, each 2 years apart and the last one just a year ago). The last c-section was kind of tough - my doctor found a lot of scar tissue (my bladder and uterus were stuck together) and they had to do an internal vertical incision. I was told by my doctor that I "could" have another baby but that the risks would go up. The problem is that she really wouldn't elaborate or push me in either direction - just that I would become high risk and that I could injure my bladder. Nothing else. So now I'm torn - I would love to have one more little baby, but I'm afraid to go through what might be a scary pregnancy and a bad surgery and recovery. Especially since I now have 4 little children to take care of at home as well. Does anyone know where to find real information? Numbers facts... something real for me to help form my opinion.
Thanks!!

georgiagail responded:
Not sure if this data will help....it compares the risk of uterine rupture between unscarred (i.e.,non-C-section delivered) women, one C-section and multiple C-sections:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/275854-overview

Gail

buttercup821 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you. I do appreciate the real study data (or analysis at least). :) My biggest problem is that on one hand I feel like it's selfish of me to want another baby and to risk myself (not to mention the baby) by trying to have another one. On the other hand I do not want to look back in 10, 20, 30 years and regret that I didn't have that last baby that I wanted out of irrational fear. I just need to know if my fear is real or just perceived - then I can go on and know that I'm doing what's right for my family.

An_193488 replied to buttercup821's response:
I just recently had my 5th c-sec and they were all born in the last 6yrs and I was warned after the 4th one that the risk was so high if I was to have another one. Well, the 5th was not meant to happen but we count our blessings and decided to go through with the pregnancy. My dr said it would be safer to cut upward on my tummy and that is what had happened. We are home now after 2 weeks and I must say that this was the easiest c-sec with minimal pain and she was able to do a tubal. I wish you good luck and just remember that they come for a reason. I have always yearn for another one but after this baby, I feel complete!

luckygirls04 responded:
Hi i just wanted to let u know that i have had 4 c-sections and all went well. After the last one i asked the doctor what would happen if i came out pregnant again she said nothing. she said i had a strong uteris. But i am still debating on having another or not. The reason being of my age i am 38 right now. So what advice would anyone give me.

ronsanto responded:
This will be my daughters 5th C-Section. She was told today how dangerous this pregnancy is. She has to go for a MRI, because the ultrasound showed that her uterus has a tare in it. Her and the baby can die from that. The doctor was upset because she doesn't think she is seeing how serious her condition is. Also, the ultrasound showed that the placenta is likely to grow on to her intestines, and her bladder, and that she could loose both. I feel scared. Maybe I should have been paying more attention to the warnings, and tried to influence my daughter to stop at 4 children. I never influenced her to have more babies, but the joy of children is what comes to me when she talks about it. She did try to get her tubes tied after the 2nd C-Section, but medicaid rules would not allow it to be done until she had so many babies, or was a certain age. I wouldn't suggest that you risk it. I wanted 1 more baby after I had 4 in in a row, vaginal births. Throughout the years, I have really missed having babies! I am 52. I had my last baby when I was 25, and I still joke with my husband about having another baby, and I still have feelings like I might be pregnant, and sometimes I really want one. I think it is part of womens make up to miss having babies. I don't think it's good to risk the moms health, and risk that the mom won't be there for her children, and her husband. I'm sorry if that is hard to hear. I am just being honest. As for my daughter, she will do the best she can to have her baby, and I will be praying for her and the baby, and help her in anyway I can. As for her future for more babies, her OB/GYN told her today that she has to have her uterus removed after this C-Section.

buttercup821 replied to ronsanto's response:
Well, in the end I agree with ronsanto. It's hard to hear, but so true. My husband and I decided that it's just too dangerous to try again. I have 4 great children and it's just not fair to them to risk so much. Thanks for all the responses!!

Helpful Tips

dealing with anxiety and bipolor episodes
dont know how to cope with issues of everyday life without wanting to cry, or break down in depression, its addecting my marriage what can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.