Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Getting Pregnant After Stopping the IUDs
Exchange_Blogs_Admin posted:
Part 3 of our series on getting pregnant after stopping birth control looks at fertility rates after using 2 common types of IUDs . Read what Jane has to say about your chances for a successful baby dance in her latest blog post . Then come back here to share your comments and questions.

Laceysaterdal responded:
I had the Mirena for 2 1/2 yrs, have never had an std, had three pregnancies (abortions) before. Its been almost 4 years since i had it removed due to pain/cramping; been trying to conceive since with the same guy, no such luck and stabbing pain on my right side during intercourse. I cant afford the expensive tests to find out why I am not getting pregnant. I have done research on Mirena without any help as to what might have gone wrong with me. Does anyone have any clue as to what it may be?

selbyerica2013 responded:
Ive had my mireana removed on july 9,2012 and have been trying to conceive. how long will it take for me to concieve?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to selbyerica2013's response:
Dear selbyerica: Generally there is no statistical difference in pregnancy rates after the removal of either type of IUD. One particularly good study randomly assigned women to one of the two types of IUD, then followed the time to pregnancy after the IUDs were removed. In this study, time to conception after Copper T removal was 3 months and 4 months for the Mirena (Belhadj, 1986). It is important to note that the women in these studies had had prior pregnancies thus known fertility.

In a retrospective study of 2269 women (Hassan, 2004), 82 women used a non-hormonal IUD and 13 used the Mirena. Compared to women using condoms, the time to pregnancy in non-hormonal IUD users was twice as long. The Mirena users had the same time to pregnancy (about 4 months) as condom users.

Finally, here is a study with larger numbers and actual pregnancy outcomes:

Contraception. 1992 Dec;46(6):575-84

Return to fertility after removal of a levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine device and Nova-T.
Andersson K, Batar I, Rybo G.

Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, East Hospital, University of G?teborg, Sweden.

In a European randomized multicenter study, the efficacy and safety of an intrauterine contraceptive device releasing 20 microgram levonorgestrel/24 hours (LNG-IUD) have been evaluated and compared to the Nova-T. Because the LNG-IUD has a strongly suppressive effect on the endometrium and in some women affects ovarian function, the return to fertility after removal of the IUD was studied. Two-hundred-nine women (71 in the Nova-T and 138 in the LNG-IUD group), who had their IUDs removed because of planning pregnancy, were followed at least 24 months or until termination of pregnancy. For the Nova-T, the cumulative conception gross rate was 71.2/100 women after 12 months (79.7 after 24 months) and for the LNG-IUD 79.1/100 (86.6 after 24 months). The difference between the devices is not statistically significant, and in spite of the endometrial suppression during use of LNG-IUD, there is no delay of return to fertility and in both groups 96% of the pregnancies occurred during the first year after removal of the device. Eighty-four % of the pregnancies in the Nova-T group and eighty-six % in the LNG-IUD group ended in live births. The results suggest that the endometrium recovers quickly, normal ovulations are established and the fertility seems to be unaffected after use of an LNG-IUD

selbyerica, if you have had a prior pregnancy with your current partner, I would expect you to conceive before July 2013. If you are over age 30, do not have regular cycles,or have a known obstacle for conception (eg endometriosis), it could take longer. If you have one of these factors I would suggest you see your GYN after six months of unprotected sex. If you are younger and without known obstacles it is reasonable to wait 12 months before starting a fertility work up. Hopefully you will conceive soon.

Yours,
Jane

katylady89 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Hi Jane-
I had my Mirena put in in March of 2008 and had it removed August of 2012 so almost the full 5 years. I am married and we have been TTC since it was removed and have not had any luck. It took a few months to get on a "normal" cycle but I have been normal for a long time now. My husband has been checked and is fine, my doctor did monthly blood tests for me for 3 months to make sure I was actually ovulating and I was. This was right after I had it removed so he told me to at least give it a year. Now its been over a year and still nothing. I am very depressed and sad that this is just not happening for me. I have a 5 (almost 6) year old but from a previous relationship, I want one with my husband now. any suggestions or help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

KC

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.