Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
clitoral cancer?
louise123_uk posted:
I was recently having a look ay myself down there and noticed some white stuff under the clitoral hood (not a lot jus a little bit). Since doing abit of reading on the internet this sounds like smegma? (sorry to be gross!). I do wash down there in a daily basis but am now worried am perhaps not getting rid of it all frm under the clitoral hood far down perhaps! (sorry know this sounds icky!).

Anyways I read an article that said this could produce irritation (ive had none that noticed so sigh of relief there), but there was a site that said a build up of smegma could cause cancer, so im worried that if I havent been getting rid of it all frm far under the hood properly that I could be at risk of giving myself clitoral cancer... is there any truth in this?? Never head of anything like this before......

louise123_uk responded:
Have also read about something called clitoral adhesions, where a build up of smegma can cause the clitoris to fuse to the hood... never heard of this before either but now a tad cncerned as I can only pull the hood a little way down from the clitoris and the clitoris in my opinion does seem to be attached to my clitoral hood!! hmmm is this normal, also if I do have adhesions would I need an operation or something?

I always thought I was fairly meticulous about cleaning but it is a hard area to clean so am in a panic about the link to cancer and adhsions!

louise123_uk replied to louise123_uk's response:
p.s. im 26 and havent noticed any pain, my clit is just a bit sensitive when touched directly but ive read this is normal

Also, not sure if my clitoris seems to protrude more on one side than the other, and as I cant pull the clitoral hood all the way down to the base I cant work out of this is a lump or just normal, would I know if I had clitoral cancer?

georgiagail responded:
Smegma does not cause clitoral cancer. It is quite likely that everything is perfectly normal down there but that after reading about such things you are being overly concerned.

Gail

louise123_uk replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks for the reply, I know you're right there probs is nothing wrong.

However, my clit seems to bulge at the left side more than the right, by this I mean I can feel like a lump near the top on the left side but not on the right side or only very slightly.

Im wondering could this be the head of the clitoris that im feeling through the hood, i.e. it kind of feels like a bulge at the top on the side of the hood, and then I can feel the rest of the shaft less pronounced.... should the head bulge out at the sides more than the rest of the shaft? and if it does sound like the head Im feeling is it normal for it to bulge out more on one side than the other.... Worried may be a lump on clitoris itself and that its cancer...(hoping im being dramatic once again).
I dont have any pain.
Any thoughts on this much appreciated!

Really dont want to have to go see a doc for this, have no reason to really assume if anything is wrong just wondering if im normal!

georgiagail responded:
Yes, you are normal, although a bit overly worried about your clitoris.

Gail

louise123_uk replied to georgiagail's response:
So if there was smegma under the clitoral hood and it had led to adhesions could this make me at risk of cancer? I had alway though I had been meticulous with cleaning but its a hard area to clean and I have noticed smegma on occassions and think that there may be adhesions and that I cant pull the hood back as far as I sould be able to!!

Could I be at risk of cancer due to a build up of smegma?

georgiagail replied to louise123_uk's response:
Again, no.

Gail

fcl responded:
Everybody gets smegma and few women pull their clitoral hood back to wash it. Most women don't even know they have smegma because a normal wash is enough to keep them clean and because few women spend much time examining themselves with a mirror.

Yes, the clitoris, in its normal state, is sensitive. If you had a build up of smegma (not very common in women) you would be in pain. It would hurt.

Clitoral cancer is so extremely rare that there is hardly any information about it out there on the net ... other than on sites that sell "feminine hygiene products".

Please stop obsessing about this, there really, REALLY, REALLY isn't any reason for you to worry.

Presumably you see your doc for an annual visit? Take advantage of that to express your concerns.

Helpful Tips

Try looking into this
I also have been dealing with the same thing best bet is to go to your OB/Gyn it might be Endometriosis I would try and get in as soon as ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.