Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is it true?
LoveYorkies posted:
I have been told in the past that you are not supposed to have sex the day before having a pap smear because it can interfere with the exam/labs. Is there any truth to this?

Take the Poll

Is it ok to have sex the day before a pap smear?
  • Yes, there are no issues.
  • It is not recommended, but probably ok.
  • No, don't do it.
vote
View Poll Results

georgiagail responded:
This is especially true if a condom is not used to contain the ejaculate.

Gail

LoveYorkies replied to georgiagail's response:
I'm a little surprised. Do you know why it is an issue?

An_193685 responded:
Avoiding douching, intercourse, and putting anything in the vagina 48 hours before your next test.

An_193686 replied to LoveYorkies's response:
Put nothig in the vagina for a true pap smear result. (24/48 hours.)

FCL replied to LoveYorkies's response:
To be sure that nothing interferes with the samples the doc takes. Having sex without a condom would mix cells from two different people and make it harder (if not impossible) to analyze.

NewGirl2010 replied to FCL's response:
I was told that having sex before a pap could result in an "abnormal" pap result. I am not entirely sure why. My guess is that it simply interfers with the cell sample.

LoveYorkies responded:
Thanks for the replies everyone! I guess Mom was right all those years ago. I just wonder why none of my HCPs ever said anything. I'm glad I asked.

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.