Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
atypcial cells in pap
sbecker03 posted:
Ok, I am a worry wort to begin with so i might not have anythign to worry about. I went to the doctor to get a pap. and it came back and i had atypical cells. they have to do another pap in 6 months. the nurse told me not to worry but i mean i have to go back. if there was no worry why would i ahve to go back. MY big concern is not being able to have children. Is that even a sympton of that? Can anyone out there answer my question or ease my worries

An_193687 responded:
You can also improve your chances of a normal test by avoiding douching, intercourse, and putting anything in the vagina 48 hours before your next test. Your next pap could be normal.

Going back is just a smart thing to do.

NewGirl2010 responded:
There are many reasons for an abnormal pap. Some of the reasons (as mentioned by the previous poster) include intercourse, douching, etc. Infections can be another cause of abnormal paps...bacterial and yeast infections, herpes simplex, for example. Did you doctor test the sample for HPV? HPV can lead to cervical cancer and is often a cause of abnormal paps. HPV can often resolve itself on its own over time but needs to be monitored.

Helpful Tips

an over the counter item that helps me
I like AZO "for PMS". It has natural ingredients. One time I got dizzy and had to leave church and go lay down in the car. Then went to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.