Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
On the topic of abnormal paps...
newgirl2010 posted:
My last pap was abnormal after years of normal paps. I am in my 30s (no children). My doctor did test the sample for high-risk HPV (which was negative). My gyno advised I return in one year. However, it seems like a lot of what i am reading on the subject suggests a follow-up in a few months. Any input?

An_193688 responded:
shoudlnt your gyn have tested it for more than one thing? i think it be good to figure out what the cause was now...but since your gyn said to wait a year before you get another one i guess he/she is right
i know it would bug me if he/she didnt tell me what was wrong

newgirl2010 replied to An_193688's response:
Well, that is what I am wondering. I think maybe I should go back for a mid-year follow-up even though she suggested I wait a whole year. Gail/Dr. Jane...any input? What do you recommend to women?

georgiagail responded:
We'd typically run a second Pap,just to rule out lab error.

Gail

newgirl2010 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks, Gail. Do you mean you would request a woman come in again for another pap to be sure there in fact were abnormal cells? or to be sure there is no high-risk HPV? If you test again and the pap comes back abnormal once again...what do you do?

georgiagail responded:
If the repeat Pap comes back as abnormal and the patient and physician wish to attempt to determine the cause of this, the next step would be a colposcopy. This allows the physician to get a closer look at the cervix.

Because you tested negative for the high-risk strains (and I'm assuming your physician tested for all of these) of HPV, they are assuming the abnormal Pap is due to non-precancerous issues; things like irritation of the cervix for example.

Gail

Jayne4694 responded:
New Girl, when I was 28 I had 3 abnormal pap tests. They ran some tests and they came back normal. Then they did a D&C and discovered that I had dysplasia, which is pre-cancerous lesions. I then had to have a cone byopsy which means they cut a cone shape piece out of your (I forgot) . I was then told not to have anymore children. The 3 pap's that came back abnormal were all done withing 3 months apart. then the rest of immediatley done. After that I had to have a pap test every 6 months for all most 15 years, then I went back to every year. Get a second opinion or call and talk to your Dr. and tell her you are uncomfortable about your last visit. Good luck
Jayne

Kensgal1966 replied to georgiagail's response:
Gail: Sorry to jump into the middle of the conversation like this, but are there alot of reasons why a cervix would be inflamed? Every pap I have comes back "abnormal" due to inflamation, but since my husband and I have been unable to have sex for many years I'm assuming that it's perimenopause (I'm 44). In fact, I had my last period 9 months ago and am hoping I am at the end. My doc says "well, it's not common but it's not uncommon. Nothing to worry about really, but we're unable to get a hormone count." Is inflammation just a normal part of the menstrual cycle and changes? Thanks

georgiagail replied to Kensgal1966's response:
The attached article includes the most common reasons that a cervix might be chronically inflamed:

http://www.oncolink.org/types/article.cfm?c=6&s=17&ss=131&id=6027

Bacteria (which is always present in the vaginal tract) and hormonal changes (especially since you are perimenopausal) would be to two most likely reasons for you.

Gail

trubeauty_1 replied to georgiagail's response:
thanks gail, I'm glad you posted that link.

To everyone else: I was diagnosed after years of normal paps with an abnormal one. 6 months later i retested... came back abnormal . Colposcopy...tissue came back inflamed no abnormals cells present. 6 months later, repap, abnormal, colposcopy..same as before, inflamed no abnormal cells present. this went on for a couple of years... until i finally had a small portion of my cervix removed and it to came back inflamed no abnormal cells present. At whichh point i was so pissed off i just didn't go back for a couple of years.
I was angry that the paps were coming back abnormal and no one was looking at the inflamation.

I finally retested last year and received a normal pap.

my doc at one time said sometimes they'll wait to see if your body does what its supposed to do during the 6 month to 12 month window, and fight off the "precancerous" or "abnormal" cells. The higher the risk factor determines on how early they will retest (again according to my doc). Some of the HPV cells are slow moving and so do not present much risk if a retest is done 12 months later.

But as with Gail, if you're not comfortable, request a retest.

Thanks again Gail, that inflamation thing has been bothering me for a couple of years!

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 100 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.