Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
mimic pregnancy
brandellamcfly posted:
I was wondering if there is anything out there that would mimic pregnancy. I have been to doctors who have not even examined me and just tried to put me on bc pills. I have almost every symptom, except without the possibility. I am even swollen like pregnancy. I have cysts that are very painful, cramp every day but cycle never comes. Is there any help you could give me? I always have horrible reactions to the pill so i am afraid to try that again. Plus I think there is something really wrong.

J_Harrison_Hohner responded:
Dear brandellamcfly: Frequently on the Board are postings which state ?What about common symptoms of pregnancy; if I?m not pregnant what could be causing them?? Let?s look at some of the most common signs of pregnancy: No period. The most common reason for this is not having an ovulation every month. In a normal cycle, estrogen is produced all month. Estrogen is responsible for building up the lining of your uterus so you have something to shed each month. In a normal cycle, progesterone production increases following ovulation and release of an egg.. Progesterone ?stabilizes? the uterine lining in preparation for a possible implantation of a new pregnancy. If you are not pregnant that month the levels of estrogen and progesterone fall, triggering the release of the uterine lining?your period. So, if you do not ovulate, the estrogen build up of the lining continues, but without the usual ovulation associated progesterone. Thus, the hormone levels don?t decline, and the lining stays up inside the uterus?your missed period. Causes for not ovulating are multifold: thyroid problems, pituitary problems, ovarian cysts, physical stressors (eg sudden increases in exercise, crash dieting), emotional stressors (problems with parents or boyfriends/girlfriends, exams), increased body weight, anorexia, rotating shifts at work, etc. Nausea and vomiting. Generally speaking the nausea and vomiting of pregnancy are presumed to start about four weeks from conception. Some other causes of nausea and vomiting are viral, or bacterial, infections in the bowel. Appendicitis, or problems with the gall bladder or pancreas, can provoke nausea. Neurologic conditions such as migraine headaches or increased intracranial pressure can induce nausea. Even severe emotional or physical stressors can make one queasy. Less common are the psychiatric causes including anorexia, bulimia, and anxiety disorders. Breast tenderness/sensitivity. Bilateral breast tenderness can be a very early sign of pregnancy, appearing as early as two weeks after conception. This is thought to be related to increasing levels of hormones such as estrogen. In a month without an ovulation, not only can a menstrual period be missed, but there can be breast tenderness as well. This is similar to the increased breast tenderness experienced by some women when first taking postmenopausal hormone therapy. There are many other causes of breast pain (eg infections, herpes zoster) but most often these occur on one breast ?not both. Enlarging abdomen. It is not until the second trimester that most women can begin to feel an enlarging uterus by pressing on the abdomen. Sometimes a large fibroid can feel and look like a pregnancy, but this is not very common. Overall abdominal distension can arise from fluid shifts in the bowel (cause of premenstrual bloating), air in the bowel, or food intolerances (lactose, gluten, etc). Much more remotely, fluid in the abdominal cavity (?ascites?) can be a product of ovarian cancer or liver disease. Fatigue: While many women complain of fatigue in their premenstrual week, early pregnancy can produce profound tiredness. Fatigue in the first trimester has been attributed to the rapid rise in progesterone. One of the metabolites of natural progesterone uses the same brain binding sites as the ?Valium-type? drugs. Fatigue is also one of the most common symptoms for a myriad of medical conditions as well. Infections, anemia, electrolyte imbalances, low thyroid, diabetes, MS, cortisol abnormalities, cancer, depression, stress, and a variety of medications have all been linked to the symptom of fatigue. There are many conditions which can produce ?pregnancy symptoms?. If you continue to have such symptoms, despite a negative pregnancy test, it is best to see your GYN or clinic and get some additional testing. In Support, Jane

brandellamcfly responded:
thankyou for your response. I finally started today 3 months late and it is terribly painful and very light. I am supposed to go to the gyn on monday but i dont know if i can still be seen if i am on my cycle. I just hope they can find out what is going on with me. I don't have sex with men anymore so atleast I dont have to worry about being pregnant, but when I am late and swollen, dizzy, tired, cramping, muscles sore and breasts sore...even my kidneys hurt....I just get scared that there is something wrong. even inside me hurts terribly. I am 27 years old and have had one child. Is this normal of some hormone change at my age I am just unaware of maybe?

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.