Skip to content
Gyn appointment and period?
ShivaChi posted:
So I haven't been to the gynecologist for a long time now, due to moves and figured I should get back in. I was hoping to make an appointment for the week after this as I'm having lasik so I have that whole week off from work, but they didn't have any open with a woman that week and I won't see a male doctor(very uncomfortable with this type of appointment to begin with, would be even more uncomfortable with a male doctor). The first appointment they had open with a woman isn't until the 7th of May and at the time I wasn't exactly thinking so I said okay. After, I realized my period should be starting around that time.

So the question is, should I reschedule my appointment for 2 weeks after this one, or should I just go?

Hanafubuki responded:
If you are uncomfortable with the doctor doing an exam while you are having your menses then you should reschedule. You shouldn't have to wait two weeks later unless the office is really booked up, but they will need to do an exam when you go. Good luck.

ShivaChi replied to Hanafubuki's response:
I know they will have to do an exam when I go. The reason I said 2 weeks is because if my period doesn't start that Friday or Thursday but starts Saturday or Sunday, it would be still be going the following Friday.

It's not really that I'm uncomfortable, I thought I had read that they really don't want you doing a pap during your period for reasons I can't remember because it's been a while since I read whatever it was.

Hanafubuki replied to ShivaChi's response:
Yes that is true. If you are getting a pap done, then you should not be on your period when you go. The blood makes the results of the pap smear difficult to interpret and can mask abnormal cells. (I was only thinking about a physical exam).

Helpful Tips

Thickened endometrial lining
Hi I am 52, stopped my periods 5 months ago - assumed menopause, feeling very bloated for the past 3 months - doc ordered hormone test - ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.