Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
EXAMS
sunshine5050 posted:
I realize this maybe a strange question, but here goes, can u get std/hiv/any other FROM having an anual womens exam done, pap etc. Seems we go to ge them and yet everyone sits on the same table, qtips, etc are already opened and sitting out. It seems so unsafe, is it safe, even in a clinic or health department or doctors office. Is it possible?

Hanafubuki responded:
They use disposable paper on the exam tables and plastic wraps on the instruments to keep things sterile. The gowns and the sheets are washed after every use. The instruments are sterilized (and remember they are wrapped and most never touch the patient). If your doctor's office looks dirty, if the instruments do not look clean, if they are not using gloves or sterilized (out of the package) goods then speak up and walk out before your exam.
Of course, it is possible - anything is possible. But every precaution is taken to prevent infections from being spread at medical facilities.

sunshine5050 replied to Hanafubuki's response:
I noticed disposable paper on the table. paper lap and paper chest cover. what appeared odd and made me question, is when entering the room, the room had been pre set up, there were the qtips in a large open box, the smaller qtips for the exam were opened at the top, as to make things "easier" for grabbing. Gloves laying on the tray. the speculum was in a plastic bag, slightly opened for easy access. You tend to want to "trust" the medical profession, but these things made me question all the "what i-f-'s" and extremely unsettling to say the least. Yet i wasnt sure that the items 'opened", who know when they opened them or who had access to them before entering the exam room. Who had been sitting on the exam table that day, can diseases get passed that way. And all this has now made me question the whole "disease" thing. A very very scary situtation and lessons have been learned, just hope not the hard way.

Also, I want to say Thank You for responding, any insight is Greatly Appreciated. Thanks Again for your Time.

georgiagail responded:
While items may be opened and waiting on trays to be used, STD's (including HIV) from other patients do not fly through the air and land on instruments or swabs.

And has been previously mentioned, paper gowns, diposable paper on the table, paper chest covers, etc. are a standard in gynecologists offices (sometimes to the point where a woman might complain about feel vulnerable in a paper gown). All these items will be tossed and new ones provided for the next patient.

Gail

sunshine5050 replied to georgiagail's response:
Gail,
Thank you so much for your comment.:)
Sincerely.

fiannakyn replied to sunshine5050's response:
They also set out the intraments usualy right beofre coming to get you from the waiting room.

Very good concern though!
Because of similar concerns, is why I wont use the bathroom at my Gyn office. :P

NewGirl2010 replied to sunshine5050's response:
Even if items such as paper on the exam table and gowns were not replaced/cleaned, you still could not get an std from them. As far as gloves, you can tell when a pair of gloves has been used. Obviously, one would be more concerned if actual istruments were not being sterilized. Like everything else in a doctor's office, there are procedures for handling all of these things. If you have questions about the procedures, you should feel comfortable asking the nurse or doctor. I have asked before about procedures relating to needles for blood draws. As far as the supplies and instruments being ready when you arrive in the exam room, well, i believe that is just a way to make the exam go easier and speedier. I also agree with a previous poster, if you really feel things are dirty and not being cleaned properly...leave.

sunshine5050 replied to NewGirl2010's response:
Thank you all for your help. IT'S SCARY....when you even have to think this way, but I do now. So, it made me question everything about that experience. Going in healthy coming out feeling unheathy, like something awful happened. Going for an anual should never make someone feel this way and your right, leave, walk, run out if something doesnt feel or look right. I should have, such an awful feeling and then to have to question everything about it. So, I am glad that I found this website to beable to get some help and comments. I dont think that a bulk size qtips should be open for each patient, that anything should be pre opened, who knows who was in the room before you. So, for std's/hiv, u cant get them a dry surface, even if someone sat there naked before you or if a swab was tampered or items falling on the floor. I know it sounds strange, but after that experience it makes you question everything. So, sorry if i sound nieve or something, dont mean to. Thank you for your help. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Sincerly greatful for everyones help!

Helpful Tips

Tips
Doing yoga, (especially fetal position) always works for me as well as deep breathing, at least for a minute. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.