Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Not Sure, freaking out a little
songchild2003 posted:
Okay, I have been on the nuva ring for about 4 months now, This month I took out the ring and then was 8 days late and I semi-normal period for me. Then yesterday I spotted off and on all day enough to wear a panty liner. I have to two girls already and I am tired all the time and had some tenderness breast and nipple leakage. Could I be pregnant or is it just side effects for the nuva ring? Thanks.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear songchild: While the breast symptoms might be a result of the estrogen in the NuvaRingI would urge you to get a reliable pregnancy test--just to rule out that distant possibility.

If the test is negative (which I would hope and expect) then the unusual bleeding pattern MIGHT be linked to breakthrough bleeding/spotting that one can get on most types of hormonal birth control products. While a new infection (eg chlamydia) can definitely produce erratic spotting, it would not cause the breast symptoms.

Bottom line, get a reliable pregnancy test done. If it is negative (and you have no risks for chlamydia) you should keep track of the days of spotting and see you GYN if the spotting continues through this cycle on the NuvaRing. If overt nipple leakage continues see your GYN for a clinical breast exam and possible prolactin blood test.

Yours,
Jane

songchild2003 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thank you, I can rule out chlamydia. I have been married for 7 years. Okay thank you I will do that.

abchelpme replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
my periods were normal then 18 month ago i gave birth to my daughter and ever since then my periods have been irregular and every time it is time for my cycle i get these really horrible pains whenever i need the toilet and sometimes find it impossible to go and as soon as my period as stopped i can go easily again and recently my stomach has blown up almost over night i never thought anything of the irregular periods etc until recently when i got really worried in case it is something serious

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.