Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HPV-need clarity
An_193791 posted:
Hi Dr. Jane,
Its been a very long time since I have needed to write on this board. I have been tesing negative for HPV except for this year. My doctor did one last year and it was negative and this year she performed one and it came back positive. I am a little confused about the whole issue. I am in a fairly new relationship almost a year now. We are trying to have a baby and this is why we are having unprotected sex. I guess I just need some clarity becasue people close to me are saying things like he is cheating on you and that is why it is now positvie. I know I shouldn't listen but it does concern me. I just turned 40 last week. So I am even more concerned about the whole thing. Any of your expert advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much as always.

Hanafubuki responded:
If you are now positive for HPV and in a committed relationship, all that means is he has had unprotected sexual contact (vaginal, or less commonly oral) at one time in the past. Not all HPV s are high risk for causing cervical cancer or genital warts. There is no research on how long the HPV virus lives in men, or if it ever goes away. There is no reason for you to suspect him of cheating over only this. Make sure your friends read up on it as well if they are going to voice an opinion - they should be supportive of you and your relationship if you are planning on having a child together.

SweetLee040970 replied to Hanafubuki's response:
Thank you.
You are right my friends do need to read up on it before giving their opinions. Your response is exactly what I thought. I know he is not cheating. I know alot of woman say that.
I was also wondering if it is even worth me mentioning it to him? I am not sure if I should. But for now I think I will just wait and see what the results of the next test will be.
I wonder if there is anything I can do for it?

newgirl2010 responded:
HPV is elusive in the sense that you could have come into contact with it 20 years ago, always test negative, then one day it shows up. It really is no indication of anyone's unfaithfulness. All it proves is that one or both of you have engaged in sexual activity at one point in your past. Were you being tested for high-risk HPV during your annual pap? Is that what you are referring to?

SweetLee040970 replied to newgirl2010's response:
I don't know if they tested for high-risk HPV I will have to ask that. I will be going next week I will ask then. All I know is I have been testing negative for years. This year it was positive and of course just makes you think the worst. But I appreciate all of your imput for clarity. I just want to understand what I am dealing with and if there is anything I can do for it. I will get back after my appointment.
Thanks again

An_193792 replied to SweetLee040970's response:
I myself can relate with you because I too was in that same situation about 14 years ago with the same thing but the strain without warts but I hear that strain is the one we have to worry about possibly causing cervical cancer in the long run! I did though had to go through a colposcopy & a biopsy and just follow up with pap test yearly because of it.I hope all turns out good for you and the best of luck to you!take care :0)

SweetLee040970 replied to An_193792's response:
Thank you I hate to say it but I am glad I am not alone. I don't think it is the strain with warts but I will be able to find out when I go for my appointment next week hopefully.
They did suggest that I would have to do a colposcopy and maybe a biopsy. So we will see what happens now.
Take care

An_193793 responded:
I'm in agreement...also it also means that you could have been exposed at one time, unless this is your first partner.
And may have come from a previous partner, is what i was told by my doctor.
Like your friends i assumed the same. As it turned out, although i likely did receive it from that boyfriend i'd been exposed to it... it didn't produce a positive HPV test for a couple of years.

An_193794 replied to SweetLee040970's response:
just wanted to throw in 2 more cents.

i think that if you have been tested positive you should tell your bf. If you're in a committed relationship and planning on having a baby, then that level of honesty should be there. If he had an STD present then you would want him to tell you. Although unless its warts there's little for him to do, you should be open with your partner and let him know whats going on.

Further, if you do have biopsies done you'll need to tell him because you will not be able to engage in sexual activity for a little bit.

I also did have the HPV diagnosis although they never found positive in the actual tissue they did a LEAP as a precaution. Now 5 years later i'm still testing as negative. Warts are not the only version to cause cancer, but they can spread to your partner so you need to be aware.
Take care and good luck!

SweetLee040970 replied to An_193794's response:
What is a LEAP as a precaution?
He is not my first partner. I have been with more than a few but most were protected sex. But I do know the one I was with before this current BF the condom did break and he did not pull out right away.
You are right I should be able to tell him this. I guess I am just scared. It is a sensative subjext and not that I can't talk to him about anything I can but it is alway a scary thing.
I am just trying to figure out if they can tell me which strain it is? I am not sure if they can. I would think if it was warts I would feel or see them. That is if there is an outbreak of them. I know I will have to tell him that I am having a biopsy and cannot have intimacy for a bit. But I want to see what happens at the appointment first. Then I will have to have a leap of faith and talk to him about it. Thanks

georgiagail replied to SweetLee040970's response:
An explanation of the LEEP procedure:

http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/surgery/a/leepprocedure.htm

Gail

SweetLee040970 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you I will check that out.

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.