Skip to content
Uterine Fibroid - Hysterectomy?
suecharlesdaughter posted:
Good evening,

I have had uterine fibroids for 7 years. Symptoms include: Heavy bleeding that led to being anemic and tired, severe abdominal pain that led to laporoscopic surgery and now I bleed every 5 to days each week, with huge clots being expelled by my body. My gyno has recommended I think about having a hysterectom? What do you think? Is it safe? What should I ask her? I had an ultra sound last week and my uterus is full of fibroids and the calcified ones were very painful during the vaginal ultra sound.

TwinkG1 responded:
Hysterectomy should be last resort. A complete change of diet should be tried first, raw vegetables, especially green if possible and certain vitamins and herbs (Agnus Castus, Evening Primrose and B Vitamins???). Drastic? Maybe, but the idea is to expel toxins, get organs fully functioning and ease of stress on same organs. Are you stressed? I found that stress made my symptoms worse, the same in those I know with fibroids too. Trans-Vaginal Ultrasounds can be very painful and the discomfort of actually having to have one makes it all worse. Do not worry, by working with your Gynaecologist and a Healthfood practitioner you WILL be able to heal yourself.
Best wishes!

An_193855 responded:
This surgery is safe and if I were you I would have it done.

sjb05151956 responded:
There are other less invasive treatments for fibroids. Another option that may work is a change in diet and/or supplements. Hysterectomy is big business - $17B per year, 600,000 women. It's also permanently damaging to your overall health regardless at what age it's done.
The uterus supports the bladder and bowel. Its removal increases risk of incontinence. Removal of the uterus increases risk of heart disease 3x that of an intact woman. When the ovaries are removed, heart disease risk is 7x. (A woman's lifetime risk of ovarian cancer is less than 2% so prevention of ovarian cancer isn't a valid reason for ovary removal absent a strong family history.) The severing of ligaments to remove the uterus will cause your spine to compress and the rib cage to descend toward the hip bones leading to a protruding abdomen and possible back, hip and leg problems over time. The severing of blood vessels and nerves will cause reduced sensation in the pelvic area and possibly throughout your body (including possible loss of nipple sensation). If you experience uterine orgasms, you will no longer experience them. Many women report loss of libido and sexual response even when the ovaries are not removed. In 35-40% of cases, removal of the uterus causes the ovaries to fail within several years. The ovaries produce hormones througout life in an intact woman. Our body's own hormones are essential to physical, emotional, mental and sexual health.
Some women even report a loss of loving feelings, romantic and maternal, after the removal of their uterus (even when ovaries are left). The Bloom Study ads for a female testosterone drug even ask if you've lost that loving feeling after a hysterectomy.
The HERS Foundation at http://www.hersfoundation.com/index.html provides facts about the adverse effects of hysterectomy as well as resources for organ-sparing treatments. They can be reached at (888) 750-HERS. I have no affilation with HERS. I'm just trying to spare women from the permanent devastating effects of hysterectomy after being tricked into it for suspected ovarian cancer. (My ovarian cyst was benign.)
There are also some good books about alternatives to hysterectomy such as The Hysterectomy Hoax, A Gynecologist's Second Opinion, The H Word, What your Doctor may not tell you about Fibroids"026
Good luck with whatever treatment you choose.

georgiagail replied to sjb05151956's response:
A good article discussing some of the options for treating fibroids, including a hysterectomy:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/uterine-fibroids/DS00078/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Quite frankly, consuming raw vegetables and supplements will do nothing to get rid of uterine fibroids.

I had my hysterectomy over 10 years ago and have none of the symptoms described by those who post fearful side effects following this surgery.

Gail

renalupie1 replied to georgiagail's response:
I agree with Gail.....

I had a fibroid, and I was having issues with bleeding and severe cramping. I had an ablation done.

Depending on the type of fibroids you have, this can get rid of quite a bit of your problem. Mine was Novasure Ablation. there are many different types. If it hadn't worked, I was going to have a hysterectomy. Having a hysterectomy didn't scare me at all. The ablation was rough, and I bled and cramped for six weeks afterward, but was well worth it. The results are great!

Some hormone therapies help with fibroids.

Maybe get a second opinion?

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I have/had fibroids and my doctor was able to surgically remove them via a abdominal myomectomy. There are other options besides a hysterectomy and I would research them before deciding anything.

My doctor has mentioned hysterectomy now that I'm done having kids and that may be an option in the future but not just yet. My fibroids have started returning but have yet to cause the problems I had before (heavy periods; I would go through a super plus tampon in an hour and a half).

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.