Skip to content
why does soda-pop make women have a bladder infection immediately after drinking it?
needanswrz posted:
I DRINK SODA POP(COKECOLA) ONCE EVERY BLUE MOON,,BUT EVERY TIME I DRINK IT I IMMEDIATELY FEEL LIKE I GOT A BLADDER INFECTION I MEAN WITHIN 10-15 MINS AFTER,,,MY DAD TOLD ME TO DRINK VINEGAR TO CLEAN THE TOXINS IN MY BLOOD AND IT MADE ME FEEL EVEN WORSE.I WANT TO KNOW THE REASON WHY , HOW I CAN SOLVE IT , WHAT IS THE REASON MY BODYS DOING THIS AND IF I SHOULD BE MORE WORRIED?

_swank_ responded:
Are you sure you're getting a bladder infection? Have you been to the doctor and gotten a diagnosis? I've drank Pepsi for years and never got a bladder infection and have never heard of it causing one. Soda is a diuretic however, and it will make you want to pee. If you suspect you have a bladder infection go see a doctor instead of listening to your father. If not treated they can spread to your kidneys.

georgiagail responded:
A bladder infection ocurs when bacteria enters the urinary tract and begins to reproduce in there. This does not occur when one drinks soda; bacteria enters "up the other end"; through the urethra and into the bladder.

Sometimes drinking cola type beverages makes folks feel a bit achy in the lower back (around the kidneys) and they believe they have a bladder infection. However, 10 to 15 minutes after you drink a soda this liquid is still in your stomach.

Gail

cletusklump responded:
needanswrz,

I drink a soft drink every now and then like you and the same thing happens. I feel after about 15 mins. I'm getting the start of an infection. My urethra starts to get irriated and then later it burns when I urinate. This started happening after I had my first child. My sphincter muscle was stretched in my urethra so I put some Neosporin or yeast infection cream when I start to feel it coming on. Your not crazy, I just stay away from Coke. Make sure you rub the cream into the opening where your urine comes out. I love Coke too, but I find that Red Mountain Dew doesn't bother me. Then I start drinking a lot of water and I keep put on the cream and it goes away in a few days. I wish I knew the answer but it's probably the salt.

cletusklump replied to georgiagail's response:
Gail,

I have to disagree with you because this happens to me too about 10 to 15 mins. after I drink a Coke. I do have the sudden urge to go and the burning sensation. It sounds odd to me but when I drink especially a Coke it feel it.

DebbieJeanR replied to cletusklump's response:
Same thing happens to me, except it just started happening a few months ago.. I not only connected it to diet pop, but to Crystal light, within minutes (within half an hour) I start to feel like I have a bladder infection. It must be the aspartame.

reynaacordero responded:
I get this all the time, just yesterday I drank some pepsi and now I have a horrible bladder infection I've been suffering from this for years and it always links back to pop/soda but now I get it faster and from just 1 cup before I had to drink at least 4 but like I said now its just from 1 I honestly go to the doctor like 5 times a year because of this and they always tell me that I do in fact have a bladder infection which sucks idk if its something in the soda but what I do recommend is that you go to the doctor because that's the only way it'll get better.

reynaacordero replied to reynaacordero's response:
and also don't drink soda anymore stick to water or watermelon, guayaba, mango or any fruit water you'll be thankfull in the long run.

cletusklump replied to DebbieJeanR's response:
I know when I eat too much candy it happens too but mostly with soft drinks. Best method is to get in the tub and rinse that area really good. Rub mild soap the opposite direction of the bladder opening and start drinking green tea with honey or splenda right away so you can cleanse it by urinating more. If any of the others that have responded have never had this problem how can you tell me how I feel. You can't give advice to someone if you haven't experienced it. I know sugar and the salt are the problem. I don't drink soft drinks that often anymore and it has stopped. I love Coke so start drinking green tea as soon as you finish. It is an uncomfortable feeling. I also drink water with a fresh lemon quizzed and add a sweetener and that cleanses your body. When I go fishing I definitely drink water. After having kids your spingster muscle has been strectch like a straw. Try drinking just a little and drink water or iced green tea but always have vaginal cream handy. Never wash that area with a wash rag and soap, that too will irritate your bladder.

cletusklump replied to georgiagail's response:
Gail we all know what a bladder infection is so you don't have to lecture us women. Gail have you had kids. The sensation we all feel is the start of one. Have you ever worn pantyhose without the cotton opening, same thing happens. It doesn't have to be bacteria to start that feeling, pantyhose without the cotton crouch or a girdle. All the same feeling, it is probably yeast.

georgiagail replied to cletusklump's response:
Do you have some strange compulsion to comment to a 2 year old post?

And yes, I have had children. And there is no such a thing as a "springster muscle" in the body (perhaps you meant sphincter).

And I've had a Urinary Tract Infection. While you may be experiencing urethra IRRITATION this is not a bladder/UTI infection which, again is caused by bacteria entering the urethra and requires actual antibiotics to treat.

Gail

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.