Skip to content
Have my period for 15 days
dmarw24 posted:
i had my period towards the beginning of June. I then started my period the last few days of June and I still have it its like 15 days im getting married in 2 weeks so im wondering stress maybe or should I be worried about something more serious. I don't have insurance until after were married so im not sure what to do. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J_Harrison_Hohner responded:
Dear dmarw: Congrats on your up coming marriage! ...So the period in early June was normal, but the most recent bleed was a little early and has continued for the past two weeks. The first thing to do is to get a pregnancy test (unless you have not been sexually active). If the test is negative (or you have no risks) here is my best GUESS. The pattern you have described is usually linked to missed or erratic ovulations. As you may know, in a normal cycle, estrogen is produced all month. Estrogen is responsible for building up the lining of your uterus so you have something to shed each month. In a normal cycle, progesterone production increases following ovulation. Progesterone ?stabilizes? the uterine lining in preparation for a possible implantation of a new pregnancy. If you are not pregnant that month the levels of estrogen and progesterone fall, triggering the release of the uterine lining?your period. So, if you do not ovulate, the estrogen build up of the lining continues, but without the usual ovulation associated progesterone. Thus, the hormone levels don?t decline, and the lining stays up inside the uterus as a missed/late period. Alternatively the lining can begin to shed under its own weight producing prolonged bleeding. This may be what is going on with you. Causes for not ovulating are multifold: thyroid problems, pituitary problems, ovarian cysts, physical stressors (eg sudden increases in exercise, crash dieting), emotional stressors (problems with parents or boyfriends/girlfriends, exams), increased body weight, anorexia, rotating shifts at work, etc. From what you have shared, stress about all the details of the wedding could easily interfere with ovulation. Now all of this is based upon women who are not using birth control pills/patches/rings. IF you are using hormonal birth control the most likely answer is breakthrough bleeding from the birth control. Prolonged bleeding can also arise from an infection in the lining of the uterus. Commonly this is caused by gonorrhea or chlamydia. Yet I rather doubt this would have suddenly popped up. So, what to do? If the bleeding is not heavy and you have no pain (eg ovarian cyst) you are OK to wait until you get insurance. If you are trying to get the bleeding to stop before the wedding you may have to see your local county family planning clinic or Planned Parenthood type clinic. They MIGHT be able to get the bleeding to stop with hormones. Hopefully this is situational stress which will resolve after the wedding, allowing your natural cycle to reset itself. Best Wishes, Jane

marilynprascilla replied to J_Harrison_Hohner's response:
[a class="filterLink" id="search_link">dear [a class="filterLink" id="search_link">J_Harrison_Hohner..... [a class="filterLink" id="search_link">. i'm 24 yrs old, single and i am obese since a kid.....i used to weigh 185 lbs till Ja [a class="filterLink" id="search_link"> [a class="filterLink" id="search_link">nuary 2011 but now i weigh 162 pounds [lost weigh [a class="filterLink" id="search_link">t in 5 months>...i lost weight by running everyday for at least an hour and through low carb diet.....since the month of march i've been having periods for an average of 20 days a month ...so is this because of my weight loss???? if so wat should i do... i dont wanna take any medicines,,,is it ok if I jus allow my body to go through the natural way? is my body gettin adapted to my weight loss...the bleeding is not that heavy and i dont have any pain...so is it ok for me to bleed that way....

marilynprascilla replied to marilynprascilla's response:
i'm 24 yrs old, single and i am obese since a kid.....i used to weigh 185 lbs till January 2011 but now i weigh 162 pounds [lost weight in 5 months>...i lost weight by running everyday for at least an hour and through low carb diet.....since the month of march i've been having periods for an average of 20 days a month ...so is this because of my weight loss???? if so wat should i do... i dont wanna take any medicines,,,is it ok if I jus allow my body to go through the natural way? is my body gettin adapted to my weight loss...the bleeding is not that heavy and i dont have any pain...so is it ok for me to bleed that way....

i'm 24 yrs old, single and i am obese since a kid.....i used to weigh 185 lbs till January 2011 but now i weigh 162 pounds [lost weight in 5 months>...i lost weight by running everyday for at least an hour and through low carb diet.....since the month of march i've been having periods for an average of 20 days a month ...so is this because of my weight loss???? if so wat should i do... i dont wanna take any medicines,,,is it ok if I jus allow my body to go through the natural way? is my body gettin adapted to my weight loss...the bleeding is not that heavy and i dont have any pain...so is it ok for me to bleed that way....

marilynprascilla responded:

Helpful Tips

periods
why is my blood dark at the beginning of my period ? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.