Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
changing BCP
lilms_sunshine posted:
A few years ago I took Levlite with no problems. 2 months ago my md prescribed Loestrin 24 for me. I've had reocurring yeast infections, hair loss, and mood changes. Now my md has changed my BCP to Levlen. I have not started to take them yet. Should I wait a few months before starting this new pill? What is the difference in Levlen, Levlite, and Loestrin?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear lilms_sunshine: It is not necessary to have a "washout" interval before you go onto Levlen. Start the Levlen as soon as you finish the current Loestrin 24 pack.

OK, your favorite Levlite birth control pill (BCP) contains 20 micrograms of synthetic estrogen (ethinyl estradiol) and 0.1 mg of synthetic progesterone (levonorgestrel). Levlen has the same drugs but higher doses 30 micrograms of ethinyl estradiol and 0.15 mg of levonorgestrel.

By contrast the Loestrin 24 contains 20 micrograms of ethinyl estradiol, and an entirely different type of synthetic progesterone, 1 mg of norethindrone acetate. As you have also noticed there are 24 days of active pills instead of 21.

Bottom line, all BCPs which have both synthetic estrogen and progesterone are equally good for pregnancy prevention. Some women have no significant side effects no matter what BCP they use. With other women we may have to change the brand/formulation several times to find one that has the fewest side effects.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.