Skip to content
Birth Control Pill at 40
Kari69 posted:
I am being put on birth control at the age of forty..lol...is this safe? my gyny thinks so..I don't smoke. I am only going to be on for 3 months to see how things go..the reason why I am going on is because of horrific back pain during my cycles..I have arthritis in my lower back and my doc seems to think ovulation is aggravating it, since then is when I get the most back pain..anyone else here on it at this age? she prescribed nortrel 1/35..I haven't been on BC pills since I was in my early twenties, so I'm a little nervous..

NewGirl2010 responded:
My understanding is that birth control is safe to take up until menopause. The big caution is for older women who smoke. But if you don't smoke, absent any other medical condition that might preclude pill use, I don't believe there is a problem. I hope the pill helps with the back pain.

georgiagail responded:
Many women use oral contraceptives until they enter menopause naturally.

Then they switch to hormone replacement therapy which contain the same ingredients at birth control pills, although in a lower dosage.

The safety of oral contraceptives is often dependent on a patients personal health history (i.e., history of breast cancer for example) as opposed to age.

Gail

Kari69 replied to NewGirl2010's response:
thank you..:)

Kari69 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Gail!

Helpful Tips

Weight loss after pregnancy
I had baby number 2 6 months ago and still cannot lose any pregnancy weight. I read hints and tips on the Internet but it is all ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.