Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Should I have surgery to remove my blocked Fallopian Tubes (hydrosalpinx)?
An_194167 posted:
I went off birth control after 19 years 1/2009 to have a baby. i had stomach/urine problems in 5/2009 and 12/2009 that the PCP thought was a bladder infection. I was given antiobiotics and the blood, urinalysis, and ultrasound were negative.
2/2010 had right abdominal pain and was given antibiotics - blood and urinalysis were negative, Pap was normal, but ultrasound revealed left ovarian cyst and fluid in the cul-de-sac. I was told that a right cyst had ruptured and will redo ultrasound in a few months.
I saw OB Dr for fertility 3/13/2010 who was going to refer for HSG test, but ended up in ER that night with severe pelvic pain. I was hospitalized for fluid filled strucutre on the left compatible with hydrosalpinx. I was treated with IV antiobiotics that did not help, so had a laparoscopy. I had a bilateral hydrosalpinx with right tubal torsion and omental, pelvic, ovarian, and tubal adhesions. I was given a bilateral salpingostomy, drainage of bilateral hydrosalpinx, correction of tubal torsion, and lysis of adhesions. I was off two weeks of work. My Menstrual was 1 week late and heavy 4/15-4/21.
On 4/23, I had bad body aches until fever and severe chills on 4/26. Went to urgent care 4/28 for fever, abdominal pain - lab, urinalysis, chest/abdominal xray were normal. I went to ER 5/2 with same symptoms and cat scan revealed fluid filled structure suggestive of hydrosalpinx and right cyst again. I was given antiobiotics and followed up with OB Dr 2 days later, who said that I need to remove my fallopian tubes, as he thinks I have endometriosis, but also referred to a fertility specialist. I had appointment with a fertility specialist on 5/7 who said that my hormone levels, ovaries, and uterous are fine, but that I had PID and to remove the fallopian tubes.
I have never had chalmydia or gonorrhea the causes for PID and can not afford in-vitro vertilization to have a baby if my fallopian tubes are removed. I was scheduled for surgery tomorrow, but canceled it because the OB Dr can not tell me why I keep having pain, and getting an infection in my pelvic area that develops scar tissue/adhesions, inflames, and blocks my fallopian tubes and he can not guarantee the problem will go away. The OB Dr also can not tell me what type of cysts I have (follicular or corpus luteum).
I have never had a HSG test or the bacteria was not tested.
My white blood cells are low despite taking antiobiotics for a week a my pain has somewhat subsided, but my stomach is distended. A vitamin specialist thinks that I have candida or destroyed the good bacteria from all the antibiotics causing the infection in m pelvic area. All I know is that I have blocked fallopian tubes that appears distal (end -by ovary and fimbrae).
I am a 38 year old Afro American who has never been pregnant .
Any suggestions on what I have or should do?
I plan to get a second opinion, but was wondering what else I should do. 1. Restore good bacteria and detox bad bacteria, 2. Do a fertility cleanse - milk thistle seed extract, liver renew capsule, lier cleanse flushing tea, conceptions tea, women's best friend, and zymessence, 3. Take proteolytic enzymes to help kill scar tissue, and cysts, or 4. Have the surgery to remove my fallopian tubes.
georgiagail responded:
1. Detoxing in terms of "destroying" bad bacteria is useless.

2. Also useless

3. Same as number 1 and 2

4.Your best option

fiannakyn responded:
1) you may have issues with bacteria because of the antibiotics so eat a lot of yourgert to restore it.
2)I agree with Gail that a lot of the fertility clense does not really help (it cant hurt though)
3)I have never heard of anything that "kills" scar tissue or prevents cysts
4) having the tubes removed will not cure the cysts, pain, trouble or endo, it will only prevent you from getting pregnant.

I would get a 2nd opinon with a diffrent fertility specialest. The fact this one can't tell what kind of cysts you have are a big red flag to me.
Dilruski responded:
Jane, please help.
someonewhocares3 responded:
There are plenty of ob/gyns that are quick to remove female organs/parts when less invasive treatments are available. Plus a lot of female pelvic surgery consent forms are written such that they can remove any/all of your female organs as they desire once in the OR.

My suggestion is to call the non-profit HERS Foundation at (888) 750-4377. Their website is .

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
tmlmtlrl responded:
So sorry for all your troubles. It really sucks when doctors don't have answers because we expect that from them. And it is true a lot of doctors are way too invasive! The problem is it is a guessing game. If you want to take care of your bacteria then you need some good probiotics. I think one problem u should be looking at is that u should have never been on bc for 19 yrs. that is insane! Also PID is not only caused by std's. My friend recently told me she had PID so we researched. First u should have std check done to be sure because u can have std and have no symptoms. The other cause was from having surgery that cause bacterial infection.
My personal opinion is that too many people underestimate the power the human body has in healing itself. Not saying there isn't a line of no return because sometimes things can get too bad. But since there is no guarantee that having your tubes removed will even make you better I think you should give your body a chance. Try looking up Dr. Mercola for some answers, I'm not going to put link here cuz I don't know if it's ok. Just search his name and you will get plenty of information and his website. Good luck. Oh yeah, my friend, she went to doc because of severe pain, nausea, told she has PID, no std, did the antibiotics, didn't work, what worked...birth control -- go figure! They also told her she will eventually need a hysterectomy cuz she let it go so long.
aclink responded:
I was misdiagnosed with PID as well. After several months, and as many doctors, it was determined I needed surgery to remove a small grapefruit sized cyst enveloping one of my ovaries. Surgery determined I had stage 4 endometriosis and a chocolate cyst. The endometriosis will cause lesions and free floating fluid in your abdomen (which I also had/have) as well as cysts. I now have a hydrosalpinx of my left fallopian tube and the right is completely blocked. Tubal surgery to repair the tubes does not have a very high success rate and can actually damage the tubes more. It is also not typically covered by your health insurance. In vitro is now my BEST option to conceive due to the hydrosalpinx and endometriosis. I will have my tube (hydrosalpinx) removed b/c it enhances my chances with ivf. You can now finance ivf thru ARC and should you not take a baby home from the hospital you are refunded. Best of luck to you!

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.