Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Should I have visited the ER for vaginal bleeding?
maddie082 posted:
I visited the ER recently because I was having vaginal bleeding - my period had just ended 6 days before and was back with a vengance as the bleeding was mostly large clots and required me to change pads every 3 to 4 hours.

I visited the ER because I was bleeding so much that I was getting tired from doing tasks I normally do and scared because the clots were huge and wouldn't stop.

The nurses took care of me and it took 5 of them a little over an hour to get my blood taken for testing because my veins just didn't want to give anymore blood up. Everything came back normal, except that I was anemic and my progesterone level was low, so I was given medication for that in the ER and sent home with 5 days worth to take 2x a day and had to follow up with a GYN.

The doctor on call that night didn't come in until I was waiting on the medication and told me everything the nurses already stated - DID NOT do an exam of any kind. THEN said that I shouldn't have come to the ER because they couldn't do anything, but I should have been to a GYN's office instead.

I tried to remain calm - I was already almost having a panic attack from being at the ER in the first place - and just told him that I was in the ER because I was scared and I had lost A LOT of blood that I felt like my uterus had fallen out and I was tired from doing simple things and I didn't think the bleeding was something that could have waited until morning. As it was, when I got home and went to the bathroom, I didn't sit down for 2 minutes on the toilet before i had to lay on the floor from being so dizzy I thought I was going to pass out.

Just wanted to see what everyone thought of the doctor's comments on this. Was he right? Should I have been at a GYN's office first?

It was a situation where I thought it would go away, but as the day went on, the bleeding got worse and I felt worse and I did A LOT of crying and thinking before, at the age of 27, MADE me go to the ER.

PS: GYN had me go for an ultrasound and I go back to her tomorrow to get the results.

An_194267 responded:
I think the doctor was correct, you needed to see your GYN.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
The only time I've gone to the ER for vaginal bleeding is when I was soaking through a night super pad in less than an hour. My blood count had dropped and I received two bags of saline solution. Changing pads every 3-4 hours is not considered heavy bleeding so I agree with the doctor about seeing your GYN.

fiannakyn replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
I agree that trying ot get in with the Gyn first should have been attempted, but you were terrified, and sick. He should have had a better bedside manner. He just got paid a lot of money to do ZERO for you.

maddie082 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
Thanks for the responses. With my emotions lately, that doctor just angered me.

Changing pads every 3 to 4 hours IS heavy bleeding for me. A normal period, I can go 8 hours on the heaviest days before I need to change. With this, I had to wear 2 of the heavy over night pads to keep from flowing everywhere and was changing 3 - 4 hours. I honestly thought it was something that would just go away on its own.

The ultrasound came back clear. There seems to be no explanation of why this happened, it just did. I still need to be patient with the anemia and I have a 3-month appointment with the GYN to go over how my cycles are going and to see if birth control is an option to regulate them. ~~ And before I get yelled at for not being on any type of BC....I'm not sexually active, never have been, and don't plan to be until I find "the one". And yes, I made the promise to the GYN to check in with her first before I did anything with a guy.

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.