Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Period with large clots excessive bleeding then stops
rlashley04 posted:
Yesterday was CD 2 and I passed some very abnormally large clots/tissue followed by excessive bleeding (saturated a tampon in less than an hour and pouring out) Then today all bleeding has completely stopped. What could this mean?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear rlashley: The bleeding pattern you have described can be common as women move into their 40's. Women have described it as "having all my period flow within the first 48 hours--with spotting on either side". If you are near this age group then the most likely explanation is a decline in progesterone produced by the ovaries as we age.

If you are in your 20's then the fear is that one may have had a miscarriage. Yet with a miscarriage bleeding tends to be prolonged. If you have any risk for pregnancy you should get a reliable pregnancy test. If the test is negative, my best GUESS would be a missed ovulation. This can trigger heavier (or lighter) flows than usual. Alas, this condition is difficult to confirm unless the woman has a history of erratic/missed periods.

In terms of the large clots/tissue, when we send such specimens to the lab, the report returns as: white blood cells, red blood cells, fibrin, and other components of uterine lining tissue. It can look different as it is more solid that the liver-like consistence of blood clots. Many women worry that this is linked to a missed miscarriage, but that is not the usual explanation. When the bleeding is very heavy the volume of bleeding outstrips the enzyme produced by the lining of the uterus designed to keep the flow liquid (easier to pass through the cervical canal). Thus when large clots are seen we see that as a confirmation of heavier than normal bleeding.

If your pregnancy test is positive or if the bleeding persists you should contact your GYN or clinic.

Yours,
Jane

rlashley04 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Jane,
Thank you so much for your reply. I just turned 30 2 weeks ago and my husband and I have been trying to conceive a second child for close to a year now. I have never experienced something like this before, so it was very unnerving to say the least and the abrupt stop to the bleeding has been quite confusing as well. Its almost as if my body purged itself.

I'm pretty sure I ovulated this month. I have been using OPKs and I did get a result around CD 14/15ish. I don't have a history of missed or erratic periods and I ovulate regularly as well.

I took an HPT this afternoon and it came back negative, so I know I'm not pregnant. I had a miscarriage back in May of 2006, and had my first child in June 2007. As far as I know, I have not had any more miscarriages, just not getting pregnant for unknown reasons at this point. My OB did discover a small fibroid when I was pregnant with my first child, could this have anything to do with not getting pregnant or this very unusual period?

My GYN was closed today, due to Memorial Day, but I do plan on calling them first thing tomorrow to let them know about this.

Thanks again for your help.

Renee

TINKER4300 responded:
I too have the same problem with bleeding! only i am 43 years old not sexualy active and have had my tubes tied seventeen years ago. it has been 16 days now that i have been bleeding pretty heavy and passing large clots also and some crampping! went to the er the other night and had an ultra sound and a few tests done and everything was ok , they said that it is my hormones and gave me priscriptions for ortho tri-cyclen and pain meds hopefully this will help me and stop this bleeding! i just feel so horrible. has anyone else out there been through this ? just feel so alone.....

An_194431 replied to TINKER4300's response:
Oh yeah you are not alone. I am 50 years old and my periods are totally crazy right now. I might go 3 months without one and then "boom", back again making up for lost time. I hate it but don't want a hysterectomy cause I feel like I am so near to menopause. I have uterine fibriods and my periods used to be like clockwork regular but now I never know when it will come. I am stressed also. I have been bleeding now for 20 days but I never cramp at all. I have been passing black looking clots like little pieces. It makes me wonder if my uterus lining is breaking up or something. Your not alone.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to An_194431's response:
Dear All: Gosh, I have never seen something re-emerge from three months ago! Yes, by age 50 one is likely having few, if any ovulations. Thus there is the hormonal component and in your case, a structural issue with the fibroids. Both of these are contributing to the prolonged and heavy bleeding. Hopefully actual menopause and a drop off of estrogen will fix the problem. Just be aware that sometimes fibroids (even though they should regress somewhat) can still provoke problems.

The current bleeding likely represents both uterine lining AND actual bleeding from small uterine blood vessels. Given that it has been 20 days I would urge you to see your GYN. A short course of hormones may get the flow to stop.

Yours,
Jane

difales replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
I'll resurrect this discussion again...I had symptomatic fibroids and suffered with them, heavy, clotty bleeding for weeks at a time, until I had the Uterine Fibroid Embolization procedure in June of this year. At one month post-UFE, there was a drastic positive improvement in the amount of bleeding, and this has continued until this month, although the last two have been irregular in their timing. Anyway, this month, I have been bleeding since at least December 10...LOL, I know that sounds strange, but I just can't remember exactly when it started because I wasn't thinking of keeping track...but I'm still bleeding today, passing clots similar to what An_111842's described in her post above. It's not as heavy as it was pre-UFE, where I would soak thru an ultra-sized (bigger than super plus) tampon and pad in an hour at the worst times, and this current bleeding seems to ebb and flow during the day. (there's actually less blood during the day when I'm active, and I'll think "Oh, it's stopping!" and then in the evening it gets heavy again.) and I keep reminding myself that I'm only using super and super plus tampons now, with a panty liner for accidents...trying to keep perspective.

Other factors that are probably contributing to this are that I have been stressed, I'm going thru a separation/divorce, and I'm a week shy of my 40th birthday. And tomorrow I go for my six-month follow up & ultrasound with my interventional radiologist, and I'm starting to freak myself out wondering what's going on in my uterus.

Does anyone have any thoughts or hear of this sort of bleeding post-UFE?

KJshine replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
I am 39 and had Novasure ablation therapy about 6 or 7 years ago. My periods didn't go away, but became manageable and my anemia disappeared. However, lately, I have had "gusher" periods on day two and then they completely dry up, not a drop of blood, only to restart a day or so later. Just this week, I was up twice at night, soaked thru pads, and the next morning completely dried up...not a drop of blood. What does this mean? In addition, I've always been 27-29 days between cycles...this month it was 5 days late...my body is really confusing me lately.

shy63 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
I pass clots the that look like liver i go threw a super pus tampon every 20min. this last for a 24 to 48 hrs then tapers off to nothing these clots a huge. i am 49 and have had 3 chlidren and had a tubiligation done 15yrs ago. am i at high risk for cancer. Also how can someone loose that much blood and still be standing.

fcl replied to shy63's response:
See your doctor immediately - you might have something as harmless as fibroids (there's a whole range of treatment) but you will need to get checked for anemia.

shy63 replied to fcl's response:
I have a kidney stone that in Aug had now grown to one centometer when they put me threw the donut I think it is a MRI The doctor said I also have holes in my Colon and would need a complete Historectamy in the very near future. How serious are holes in ones Colon?

Anon_6061 replied to shy63's response:
Huh? I don't understand what kidney stones and colon issues have to do with your uterus. There are ways to treat heavy bleeding without removing your uterus. Here are some hormonal (such as BCP's, progestins) and non-hormonal (such as tranexamic acid - Lysteda, NSAIDs - Advil, Motrin, Aleve) meds and their effectiveness in reducing flow - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/table/ch8.t1/?report=objectonly
Here's the link with all the details - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/

Hope you can get this bleeding under control without any drastic measures.

amedlin replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Jane,
Saturday around 3-4 my period I guess started it was very light like light colored blood didnt even fill one tampon all night. Then one or two on Sunday still very light until around 6 pm then I was having to change my tampons every 5-10 mins followed immediately by large dark red clots. Also, abdominal much more harsh than a cramp. This went on all night running to the bathroom. I had to change clothes two to three times due to this. Then, this morning when I woke up I was covered in blood as well as my bed so I went to clean up and change the tampon still having two to three large clots every time I sat down to pee. Then around 11 or 12pm it was like a normal period with small pea sized clots nothing like last night and this morning when they were the size of a golf ball. I went to the ER they took blood and tested my hemoglobin levels -- came back normal, did a urine test for pregnancy came back negative, then they also did a pelvic exam and it was normal as well as healthy looking. I still feel like I wouldn't have been in all that pain and having all those clots for no reason. I am 22 and on the Nuva Ring. -- Please help.

Thanks,
Nikki

Ruwaydah replied to amedlin's response:
Hi Ladies

I am a 22 year old, i have been experiencing heavy bleeding.
It first started off with Heavy discharge which color will vary from pink, too red and brown, then would experience bright red bleeding with blood clots about 6 cm long, i have been to my GP and they advised that i have a Bladder infection which im so scared its so much worst, last Monday i had such severe pains it felt as if i was having contractions.

I basically soak a tampon in less that 1 hour and the pain is excruciating.

What can this be i have red us on fibroid's and endometriosis and this sounds like something im experiencing.

Can you please assist me with what could be happening.

Thanks
Ruwaydah

gurly_needs_help replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Uum okay this is my first time ever using this so I am 18 years old and have always had very regular menstral periods they have always been pretty light and last about 3 days but in January I was in my bed and I felt as if I had to pee and went to the restroom and there was a exssesive amount of blood and a large clot and after that I didn't bleed no more, then about a week later the same thing happened again, and has been randomly happening sence.. Idk what to do some advise please??

Helpful Tips

irregular periods
am 21 yrs old & have had a fairly normal period since i was 10. i recently had a menstrual cycle for 9 days, while i also had a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.