Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is it true...
An_194660 posted:
I've been on birth control for about 8 years and recently stopped taking it about 6 months ago. Is it true that it will be very hard for me to ever get pregnant?

FCL responded:
No, not true. Some women get pregnant the very first month they are off it. For others it takes time for their cycle to return to normal. With or without the pill, it takes couples (on average) 6-7 months to get pregnant and doctors consider it normal for it to take you up to a year. :)

HTH!

NewGirl2010 replied to FCL's response:
I was on the birth control pill for nearly sixteen years. i went off it for one month and got pregnant. So, personal experience tells me yes, it can happen. Whether it is common, I am not sure.

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.