Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Producing milk 6 months after stopping breast feeding
UnexpectedlyExpecting posted:
I quit breast feeding almost 6 months ago however I have begun producing milk again. My breast are a little tender but nothing really worth putting a second thought to. I saw my OB/GYN a little over a month ago and no major changes in my breats were noted. When I was breastfeeding I was on medication to help me produce more milk as I had a lot of trouble keeping up with my daughters apetite and I was only able to breastfeed for 2 months. I had to quit breastfeeding due to medical purposes and my milk dried up instantly (I literlly just stopped breastfeeding one day and never pumped after that day). I have not seen any evidence of milk for over 5 months now, is it normal to start producing milk again? It started about 5 days ago and is still occuring. Overall my nipples are diplaying similair symptoms as when I was pregnant (a little swollen, red, itchy and producing milk) but the HPT read negative, any thoughts?

blakes_mommy_0623 responded:
I was still producing breast milk up to a year after I stopped. It has something to do with hormones in your body but it is more common than you think (or atleast thats waht my dr. told me).

zammett responded:
is the milk in both breasts or one? have you noticed the colour of or any odour to the milk? i was still producing milk four years after stopping feeding, harsh but true ! if you are around other young babies or feeding mothers this can stimulate your milk production...especially yelling hungry babies......natures trigger.

on the down side, leakage from only one breast is worrying, also you might need a check for pituitary tumor...all treatable !

UnexpectedlyExpecting replied to zammett's response:
Thank you for the advice ladies :)

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.