Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Provera
Wilson39437 posted:
I know that I previously posted about Provera, but wondered has anyone ever taken it? I have been hurting extremely bad, as if I were cramping but I have yet to start my period yet, which I do have 4 tablets left. I am hurting pretty bad and was wondering if this was normal or should I check with my dr about it.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Wilson: Yes, some women have significant cramping while taking Provera to start a menstrual period.

While we tell women their flow will begin around 72 hours after the last Provera pill is taken, bleeding can also begin before the pills are completed. Usually it is suggested that all the pills be taken because the lining of the uterus may need all the synthetic progesterone to fully convert to a healthy status ("secretory effect").

In your specific case if you are having very severe cramping it is a reasonable option to check with the GYN prescribing the Provera. They may suggest something for the discomfort. If your bleeding does start before the medication is done, confirm that you should finish up all the Provera pills.

Hopefully the cramping will improve.

Yours,
Jane

anichols_1989 responded:
was put on it to start my period and i bled for two months....until i was anemic. I would never take it again. The Docs had to stop my period and give me iron pills

NIFERRUNS02 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Jane,

What are the options that could possibly be given?? I am 28 years old and never really had a crammping issue, until I started Provera. Only twice that I can remember in the past 2 years have I had such SEVERE cramps. Most recent was 11/27/12 @ like 1:30am! The pain was so bad I was almost in TEARS. I left a message for my GYN to call back but they are out of the office until 12/3/12.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to NIFERRUNS02's response:
Dear NIFERRUNS: It rather depends upon what the Provera (medroxyprogesterone acetate) pills were prescribed for. That is, this medication can be used to "kick start" a long missed period, to stop a prolonged bleeding episode caused by non-ovulation, and to treat an abnormally thickened uterine lining. There are other medications which can be used for these indications: Prometrium (natural progesterone in oil is FDA approved to kick start missed flows), birth control pills (used to stop prolonged bleeding), and norethindrone (another very different type of synthetic progesterone).

If you can tolerate the cramps it would be best to continue the Provera as prescribed by your GYN or clinic. After that ask them about alternative treatments--you will have given the Provera a decent trial. If the pain is unbearable you could elect to stop the medication, be sure to leave a message for the GYN about what you have done so they know the treatment was not complete.

Another possibility would be that the cramps are coincidental to the Provera. In this scenario the pain would persist after the drug was stopped. In this instance you may need to be seen in the ER to rule out a ruptured ovarian cyst or some other abdominal cause of the severe pain.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Tips
Doing yoga, (especially fetal position) always works for me as well as deep breathing, at least for a minute. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.