Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
"Chunky" period...
BarbaraManatee posted:
Lately, I've been having periods where instead of the discharge being liquid, I'm getting whole sections of what appears to be the lining. I will get some bleeding too, but when I do, it's really thick and dark in color. I'm really getting worried and wonder if this is in anyway normal. I'm on birth control (Nuva Ring) and have not had intercourse for nearly two months, although I've had a period like this while in a sexually active relationship (about 6 months ago). I've been having more intense cramps than I've ever had. I also get intense lower back pain and feel really bloated. The worst pain lasts for about 8-10 hours and I feel entirely unable to do anything, including sleep. I'm turning 28 later this month. This is my third period like this in the past 6 months, with the other three being typical for me. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

georgiagail responded:
It's important to realize that menstruation is not just losing blood; it is the sloughing off of the uterine lining which is then passed out of the body. These pieces look like blood clots.

It's also not unusual to have a couple of normal menstrual periods (in terms of pain and cramping) and then have one that is more intense.

Gail

BarbaraManatee replied to georgiagail's response:
Thanks Gail, I do realize this. If it were just clots I wouldn't be worried. It is more like whole sections of uterine lining, several inches long and wide and at least and eighth of an inch thick. My understanding is that the lining 'liquefied' (for lack of a better term) and came out in the form of blood. The fact my period has changed from a really heavy blood flow with nothing more than back pain and bloating to this with really intense cramps and pain is what has me worried. Is there something causing my body to miss a step?

georgiagail replied to BarbaraManatee's response:
Save a sample and bring it to your gynecologist while discussing the increase in painful cramping.

Way back when I was still menstruating..and if there were long spaces between periods...I did find when they came the cramping was more intense and the lining in larger pieces. When I mentioned this to my gynecologist he explained that the irregular cycles allowed the lining to increase in size.

http://www.gynalternatives.com/abnormal_uterine_bleeding.htm

Gail

undefined responded:
What ever happened with this? I'm experiencing the same thing!!

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.