Qustioning how much blood shed during menstruation is normal
thisnameworks posted:
This week, I read the article here entitled, "When Your Period Signals and Problem," and I am finding one statement within it a bit hard to believe. The writer stated that most women shed only 2-3 tablespoons of blood during their menstrual cycle. Seriously? I've spent the past few days asking my friends, and they all thought this amount seemed very low--maybe reasonable for some women having lighter periods while on the pill, but not off the pill. So I went the extra step and measured 3 tablespoons of water in a cup. That's about what I lose during the first few hours of my heavy day. It tapers off after that, but there's still another 4 days or so of bleeding to follow--and the other women I questioned backed me up on this. Is this a misprint?

georgiagail responded:
It's important to remember that a menstrual period is more than just blood loss. It is the sloughing off of the uterine lining which is then passed out of the body (some women see these pieces and assume they are blood clots).

The actual blood loss is as stated, 2 to 3 tablespoons but with the endometrial tissue and mucous the total loss during menstruation is around 6 tablespoons.

Gail

thisnameworks replied to georgiagail's response:
That's good to remember and I didn't even think about that. Thanks, Gail!

countrygirl4474 replied to georgiagail's response:
6 tablespoons??? I'm on my second day of heavy heavy bleed and understanding that there is uterine lining and other. I soak through double padded at least 6 times per day, and still have spill over. Have to wake in the night to change. I've told my OB/GYN about my heavy heavy flow and he doesn't seem concerned about it. Of course he wouldn't be, he's not dealing with it!!!

I'm over it.............ready for it to be done!

simbelmyne replied to countrygirl4474's response:
Countrygirl4474, I agree with you. At age 42, I still go through a super-plus tampon and pad every 30-45 mins on my first 3 days. There is no way in hell I am just losing a few tablespoons!

I have consulted with a great doc and tested positive for anemia. So I take lots of iron and vitamins, and I rest when I need to. Apparently there is not much else that can be done short of going on the pill, which I refuse to do.

The best thing we can do is take care of ourselves. I still laugh in mockery at those tampon and pad commercials that show women doing athletic things and enjoying life during their periods. The fact of it is, for some of us, that just isn't reality!

tlkittycat1968 replied to simbelmyne's response:
Have either of you (countrygirl4474 and simbelmyne) been checked for fibroids? I had fibroids and would go throuth a super plus tampon in 90 minutes or less.