Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Peeling shedding Labia?
An_194863 posted:
Im a 19 year old girs and I've been having vaginal peeling on my labia and clitoris for some time now. I am sexually active and have been suffering from recurring yeast infections for 8 years now, but the peeling is pretty recent. My doctor took a sample of my discharge due to a complaint about my recent discharge. She took a culture and told me that I had a yeast infection and than three days later called me again with a perscrption citing i had a bacterial infection, but I dont know what kind...is the peeling from my recurring yeast infections? I only use sensitive summers eve vaginal wash and my only contraceptive is Birth Control pills. What can i do to stop the peeling??? It occurs more than twice a day.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Anon: If you have skin that is peeling off your labia and clitoral area yeast is a possibility---but given eight years of recurrent yeast it seems odd that this would suddenly appear. You did not mention how long you have been using the vaginal wash product, but here is a list of the ingredients:

INGREDIENTS: Summer's Eve Feminine Wash contains Purified Water, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Decyl Glucoside, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Ammonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, FD&C.

The GYNs I know who have a specialty practice in vulvar pain and uncommon vulvar conditions really discourage the use of any vulvar/vaginal cleaning formulas. This includes products such as Vagisil which can contain ingredients which can be irritating.

There is an autoimmune disorder called errosive lichen planus of the vagina. Yet what you have described is "peeling", not a moist errosion. If the antibiotics have not helped, and the condition persists after stopping Summer's Eve you may need a small skin biopsy to get a definitive diagnosis. The following is a citation from the National Library of Medicine site about an uncommon cause of skin peeling:

Dermatol Online J. 2010 Mar 15;16(3):10.
Peeling skin syndrome: Current status.

Garg K, Singh D, Mishra D.

Postgraduate Department of Dermatology & STDs, Era's Lucknow Medical College & Hospital, Lucknow, India.
Abstract

Peeling Skin Syndrome (PSS) is a rare genodermatoses characterized by asymptomatic, localized or generalized, continuous exfoliation of the stratum corneum; it may present at birth or in adulthood. We describe a patient having the type A non-inflammatory variant of PSS showing asymptomatic and continuous skin peeling from the neck, trunk, back, and extremities. Friction appeared to be an aggravating factor, but there was no seasonal variation. Histopathology in this condition reveals hyperkeratosis and splitting of the epidermis between the granular layer and the stratum corneum. No treatment for this disorder has been found to be effective so far.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Weight loss after pregnancy
I had baby number 2 6 months ago and still cannot lose any pregnancy weight. I read hints and tips on the Internet but it is all ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.