Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Period stops and starts back up
An_195091 posted:
My period has ALWAYS ran for 3 days heavy to moderate.. (the heavy is lately) and then it stops any where from an hour to 24 hours then it will start up again moderat to light. I went to one docter and he said it could just be a thyroid or it could be something more serious that could cause problems with having kids.. so i went to anther docter and she says it may be a thyroid but it isnt anything serious. Any one have simaler issues?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Anon: I have not had that particular menstrual pattern, but I can give you some additional information. Often in the 20's a woman will have a flow that starts moderately, becomes heavy after a day or so, then gradually tails off. As women age into their later 30's that pattern often changes. The first day is very light then two days of heavy,gushing bleeding, then maybe a day or so of light flow or spotting--or spotting will start after a day of nothing. The usual cause of this shift is changes from aging ovaries. That is, hormone levels(especially progesterone) can decrease and/or a woman can begin to skip ovulations.

Low thyroid (hypothyroidism) is usually linked to missed/absent ovulations. This will create irregular periods which can be very heavy for a prolonged time. Low thyroid can definitely compromise fertility so if you risks for thyroid problems a simple blood test can be done.

You did not mention your age, or other health issues that might complicate ovulations such as being very overweight. Given what you have shared you may want to get the blood thyroid test (TSH). If it is normal then you can stop there unless you are trying to conceive and not having success.

Yours,
Jane

jo1887 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
im 22 about 5.2 with 120lb.. and havent had any health problems. I am getting the blood test done this friday. but dose any one else have a period that stops and starts like mine?

Helpful Tips

Hysterectomy
I am having heavy bleeding and sever pain with it every month that it affects my daily living when I have it I even had to drop out of ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 27 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.