Skip to content
passing tissue during menstruation....
GentleSpirit17 posted:
I'm really hoping someone could give me some insight into what could possibly be going on.... I was about 2 weeks late for my period and I started today with light bleeding like I usually do on my first day, but a couple of hours ago when I went to the bathroom I noticed I had passed some tissue onto my pad. The tissue was about 3 inches long, bloody, but also very rubbery looking, and stretchy. I know that might have been tmi but I'm hoping anyone might have some insight as to what this was and what I should do... thank you so much in advance!

georgiagail responded:
It's important to understand that a menstrual period is more than just bleeding; it is the sloughing off of the uterine lining which is not needed (since conception did not occur this cycle) and is thus passed out of the body.

Sometimes this uterine lining can look like blood clots or pieces of tissue and, because your period is a bit late there may be more of these this time as your body has had a couple of more weeks to build the lining thicker.

Gail

lucylulu10 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thats good to know because that recently happened to me and I too was a bit freaked out. Thanks for the info!

Helpful Tips

Thickened endometrial lining
Hi I am 52, stopped my periods 5 months ago - assumed menopause, feeling very bloated for the past 3 months - doc ordered hormone test - ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.