Skip to content
Sprintec and hair loss....MAKE IT STOP!!!
fieldmouse3 posted:
I was diagnosed with PCOS about 6 years ago, and for the most part, it's been well-controlled with birth control pills. One unfortunate side effect of my PCOS has been MAJOR hair loss. I've seriously lost half my hair over the last three years because of stupid hormones. It used to only fall out when I would take a break from my BCP and my testosterone level went up, and would stop again when I went back on the pills. For the last year or so, though, being ON the pill makes my hair fall out just as much as being off of it. I've been taking Sprintec for most of that time, but the same thing happened on Kariva, too. How do I stop my hair from falling out and help it start to grow back? I'm currently out of work, but I plan to see an endocrinologist as soon as I can. I want to have a plan in place for what I can do to keep my hormones in check and get my hair back.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear fieldmouse3,

I am sorry to hear about your hair loss. A dermatologist who specializes in woman's hair loss issues is probably a good idea.

Until you are able to see one, I would suggest seeing a hair dresser who works with women with hair loss issues. Sometimes a hospital or local cancer society can give a recommendation for someone who is sensitive and skilled at dealing with hair loss in women.

Best wishes,

Byroney

Helpful Tips

Weight loss after pregnancy
I had baby number 2 6 months ago and still cannot lose any pregnancy weight. I read hints and tips on the Internet but it is all ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.