Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Bad cramps and heavy bleeding for only 2 days...?
Cjrachelle8288 posted:
For about 2 to 3 weeks I've had very sore, sensitive breasts and nipples. Then this past weekend i started getting cramps. Sunday afternoon the cramps got really bad, really fast and it felt like i was being stabbed. So i just laid down and tried to sleep. The next day i woke up, still with bad cramps, went to the bathroom and a ton of blood came out with a bunch of little clots and stringy things. All of monday and half of tuesday i had heavy bleeding and cramps, and by tuesday night it just went away. Today i still have slight cramps and only some spotting. What could have happened? I've tried doing research but the only thing that i find related to it is pregnancy and miscarriage. I took a home pregnancy test about a week ago and it came out negative. I would say it could be a period, but i havn't been on birth control in almost a year and i have never gotten a period on my own before without using some kind of contraceptives(i have PCOS). I just think its strange because I've never experienced anything like that before.. no breast sensitivity, heavy bleeding for only 2 days, and I've never had cramps that bad before. If anyone has any suggestions of what this could be, it would be greatly appreciated:)

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Cjrachelle: You did the correct thing in taking a pregnancy test last week--especially if you are sexually active. Was your pregnancy test giving you a "false negative' result when you were in fact very early pregnant? In this instance the "false negative" can arise from three problems. First of all check the box to be sure that the product has not expired or shows visible signs of damage. Second, check to see if the sensitivity of the test purchased is 20 international units of pregnancy hormone (HCG). If it is more than that, it could be less sensitive to low levels of HCG. In this instance might wish to wait until at least a week after the missed period so that HCG levels are high enough to trigger a "true positive". Third, and least common problem, would be a missed miscarriage. If there was an early pregnancy, which was then lost, the pregnancy test would return as "not pregnant". This is a difficult diagnosis to make. The most conclusive way to confirm a miscarriage is to have sequential blood pregnancy tests which show dropping HCG levels in amounts which may be too low for a standard urine test to detect.

Another POSSIBILITY would be that you had an atypical "PCOS" type cycle. As you have correctly noted a majority of PCOS periods are without ovulations and can appear at erratic intervals. The cramping is odd given your usual pattern of no cramps. Increased cramping can arise from an infection of the lining of the uterus (eg chlamydia) or even from a very thickened lining of the uterus.

Yes, bilateral breast tenderness can be a very early sign of pregnancy, appearing as early as two weeks after conception. This is thought to be related to increasing levels of hormones such as estrogen. In a month without an ovulation, not only can a menstrual period be missed, but there can be breast tenderness as well. This is similar to the increased breast tenderness experienced by some women when first taking postmenopausal hormone therapy.

Bottom line, it MIGHT have been a very early miscarriage, but without at least one positive pregnancy test miscarriage would be hard to document. If you continue to have this sudden onset of severe cramping and/or gushing bleeding I would urge you to see your GYN for an evaluation. If you have a new sexual partner or any risks for chlamydia you should be seen promptly.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Weight loss after pregnancy
I had baby number 2 6 months ago and still cannot lose any pregnancy weight. I read hints and tips on the Internet but it is all ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.