Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
vaginal bleeding years after hysterectomy
mattickmom posted:
Had complete hysterectomy over 7 years ago. Recently started light bleeding. No real pain. This happen to anyone else?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear mattickmom: Thanks for writing. I have not had this experience personally but here is some information.

There are a number of POSSIBLE explanations:

1. If you had a supracervical hysterectomy (cervix left in place), there is still enough glandular tissue (same as uterine lining) lining the cervix to respond to estrogen from HRT, or ovaries left in place.

2. If you have known endometriosis, there are case reports in the literature of endo growing into the scar at the back of the vagina where the cervix was removed.

3. If your ovaries are gone and you are using no estrogen, the vaginal tissues can become so thin and fragile that they can bleed. In this same scenario, a prolapsed urethra can cause spotting when the delicate tissues are rubbed by under wear.

4. If your surgery was for cancer there is a VERY remote chance that the bleeding is from a return of the cancer

5. Seven years post-surgery is probably too long a time for there to be granulation tissue at the site of the scar in the back of the vagina. This is a more common problem sooner after surgery.

Yes, I would recommend that your see your GYN to see if there is an obvious source of the spotting. Having examined patients with concerns similar to yours I would have to say that sometimes we are never able to find out what prompted that isolated bleeding incident, but it should be checked out.

Yours,
Jane

kallyrose replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
My mom had a full hysterectomy over 7 years ago and is more than spotting. She had the hysterectomy due to overion cancer. As far as i know it started 5 months ago. Is cancer really the only option?

kallyrose replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
And if not, is fixing it just as complecated?

georgiagail replied to kallyrose's response:
As Jane's response above points out, cancer is certainly not the only reason for this.

Gail

wthing897 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
I had a full hysterectomy in 2008 , I do have Endometriosis and I have been spot bleeding off and on now for about a month . bright red .. and I do have some mild pain . I am a Breast Cancer survivor .. why would I be bleeding .. I thought it had stopped for a week .. then I got a pain and went to the bathroom and sure enough I was bleeding ????.

georgiagail replied to wthing897's response:
Jane reviewed some of the reasons this might be happening. It would be good to get this looked into medically.

Gail

gawdsgrace replied to georgiagail's response:
I'm very curious to know what the issue may be with my wife. She had a total hysterectomy in Feb 2012. Ovaries, tubes, uterus and cervix was removed. There was a very large cervical cancerous tumor. There is a very slow recurrence of the tumor. But, from Nov 2013, she experienced cramps. There was slight bleeding. Again the same feeling exactly one month later in Dec with slightly more bleeding. None on the same date in Jan this year but it happened again 20 days delayed but with the same cramps and bleeding.
What can this be? Is there some uterus left?

adelestephensonguy replied to gawdsgrace's response:
Some women are also expereincing the same symptoms. It could be due to dissolving stitches or a built up of scar tissues. Have your wife get in touch with a doctor to that the source of bleeding could be determined and appropriate treatments can be implmented..

Helpful Tips

how can a woman restore sensation in her nipples/breast?
since my last pregnancy in 2005, i have no sensation in my breast when stimulated. If anything, it hurts. I am 43 years old and I know I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.