Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
The little nub right inside my vagina hurts/itches...
whatsherface162 posted:
First off, what is that round nub-like thing right inside the top of my vagina called? Everybody I talk to calls it soemthing different. But I want to know the real name. Anyway, it itches and stings a little. I think I may have just cut it while having sex or being fingered by my husband? I was wondering if I could dab a little Vagasil on it to make the itching stop. I've had it before and I thought maybe it was an infection, but it wasn't. It eventually stopped on it's own but it is so bothersome. I'm not having any discharge or funny smells. oh, and I'm on spotting (always do right before my period) so I am using light tampons and when I pull the tampon out, it hurts that spot. Any info would be helpful please!

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear whatsherface: I think the problem in getting a consistent answer is with terminology. When you say vagina do you mean the vaginal canal and it's opening? Or, do you mean the entire vulva including the vagina. If it is just the vaginal tube and its opening, then a little nub right inside the vaginal opening would likely be a skin tag or remnant of hymen. Such tags can get irritated with friction; they can itch it a yeast infection is present.

By contrast, the vulva contains the vaginal opening, the urethra (small opening for the urine steam to come out), and above those two structure is the clitoris under it's hood. The clitoris is the most frequently cited part for female orgasm. Vibrators, fingers, tongues, sex toys all are used for stimulating the small firm clitoral nub which is highly sensitive with many nerve endings.

Here is a partial list of things which can cause clitoral itching and stinging:

1. Infections such as herpes, yeast, or even a localized infection from skin bacteria.

2. Dermatology problems which can appear in the genital area such as lichen sclerosus, lichen planus, psoriasis, or a contact dermatitis from detergent/bath products/genital cosmetics.

3. Nerve issue where the surrounding nerves (and the clitoris has lots of nerve tissue) begin to fire inappropriately leading to a sensation of pain. Sometimes this problem can be initiated by an irritant such as herpes, yeast, or trauma to the site (eg bike seat).

Bottom line, for the most "for sure" answer you should see a GYN or your local family planning clinic. Honestly, Vagisil is not what I would recommend as some of the ingredients can increase irritation. If the symptoms persist, or increase, it is best to get a real diagnosis so you can get the right treatment.

Yours,
Jane

whatsherface162 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
So, to start off what I thought was my pee hole is actually my clitoris. I looked up a diagram of the vagina and had my husband hold a mirror so I could finally (I'm 24) find out what everything is. Wow. They need to show those diagrams in school when girls learn about their periods.

Now after saying that I know what my "nub" is. My "nub" is actually just my upper vagina wall, which is really thick. I thought it was suppose to be smooth and thin. I think I just got a cut and it was being irriated. I use VCF strips for our protection and I may have just cut myself with my nail when I was inserting it. But it doesn't hurt or itch now.

Is there anything made for internal itching, like a cream that doesn't deal with infections?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to whatsherface162's response:
Dear whatsherface: How cool that you actually took a mirror and looked! Many GYN's try and encourage that by having a mirror available during exams. You are also correct about the texture of vaginal tissues. Vaginal tissues do not become smooth and thin unless estrogen levels are low (eg after menopause, or in childhood). Smooth and thin is not a good thing as the tissues can feel dry and can bleed easily.

Among women with good estrogen levels, superficial vaginal tissues are 20-30 cells thick. The texture is like many small ridges ("rugae"). If the non-estrogenized vagina is like a bed sheet, with estrogen it has the plumpness of a down comforter.

As far as I am aware there are no really good products for internal itching when the itching is not caused by yeast. Douching is not usually advised. As I mentioned above there are some ingredients in Vagisil which can be irritating as well. You can ask your local pharmacist if they carry any products for this purpose. Generally speaking, the vagina heals very quickly. It has a high blood flow, and was designed to recover from the rips and tears of childbirth.

Next time you have a PAP smear, ask the GYN to give you a mirror so you can see your cervix. It looks like a miniature penis head!! If you put a clean finger inside your vagina you may be able to feel the cervix at the back of the vagina. It feel firm and smooth like the end of your nose.

Yours,
Jane

skeedamon responded:
I have had this problem before and used petroleum jelly which helps a bit. For itching I tried a spray called "fire in the hole" (yes I'm completely serious) and that stopped the itching.

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.