Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Over 50 birth control
An_195723 posted:
I've been married for 32 years with a husband who's 5 years older than I am. Had gone almost a year without a period when they started up again, and have been regular for the past 6 months. Thought we didn't need to worry about birth control anymore, but that seems to be a myth. So, I'm wondering, what's the best method of birth control for the over 50 crowd -- I'm 51 and my husband is 56. Shouldn't need something for long -- IUDs seem extreme, vasectomy and tubal ligations same, even the pill would mess up the start of menopause. And the vaginal cremes and condoms aren't working real well. Any advice?

georgiagail responded:
Why do you believe the pill would mess up the start of menopause?

Gail

mtushie replied to georgiagail's response:
Doctor told me it would "guarantee" regular periods for at least 12 months. If I'm pre menopausal wouldn't that delay the start?

georgiagail replied to mtushie's response:
It's important to understand that a woman does not "menstruate" (in the true sense of the world) when she is on oral contraceptives.

Menstruation (in the absence of hormone containing birth control) occurs after ovulation when, because pregnancy did not occur that cycle, the body sheds the uterine lining that it would normally use to provide nourishment to a fetus. With birth control pills ovulation is suppressed (which is the point of oral contraceptives) and bleeding only takes place when the week of placebo (i.e., "sugar") pills are being consumed. Women who are taking the type of oral contraceptives that only provide a week of placebo pills every three months only see bleeding once in those three months.

In a sense, as long as one is on birth control pills that provide a week of placebos, there will be bleeding during that week. This is not true menstruation in the sense that the bleeding is triggered by ones own body. Rather, it is triggered by the birth control pills.

If you are on oral contraceptives for 12 months you would then see bleeding during the time you are taking these. If, during this time, you complete menopause you would no longer menstruate once you stop these.

I hope this makes sense.

Gail

Helpful Tips

birth control pills and gelatin-like clots
I started taking birth control pills because I had an ovarian cyst that made periods painful. Now when I'm on my periods, I will go to the ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 73 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.