Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Can't get rid of Yeast Infection Plz help!
Dev05 posted:
I was treating for a yeast infection about 2 wks ago and was givin fluconazole ( a one time pill) the doc told me it would completely wipe it out. Well it did nothing at all. i still have swelling (and probably have had it for almost a month now) Frequent urination, Painful stinging pain when urinating (but its not the outside that burns it feels like it actualy burning inside my uretha) Exssive thirst ! dont know if its realated but fatigue (just always tired and ive been getting alot of headaches.. There anything else i can do? i had gotten a bad yeast infection back in May (worst ever my vagina was completely swollen) could another problem cause frequent or reoccuring yeast infection? cuz i never get them.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Dev05: Frequent/recurrent yeast infections that do not respond to any of the prescribed treatments suggest a couple of POSSIBILITIES. First that yeast is not the culprit, or second that it is one of the atypical subtypes of yeast ("candida").

The easiest way to help unravel this question is to have the GYN do a yeast CULTURE the next time you have symptoms. If the culture is negative then yeast is not the cause. Some other conditions which can produce yeast type symptoms include:

1. Cytolytic vaginitis--this is an overgrowth of the beneficial, hydrogen peroxide producing lactobacili that help keep the vagina clear of undesirable bacteria. An overgrowth can produce an itchy, burning, irritating discharge.

2. Lichen sclerosus--this is a skin condition outside the vagina (usually between the vaginal opening and the anus) that can create intense itching and irritation.

3. Contact dermatitis--this would be from a change in tampons/pads, new bubble bath, etc.

If the yeast culture is positive, then the lab can identify which of the yeast subtypes may be the villain. Most yeast medications are developed for candida albicans --about 80% of yeast infections are due to this. The other 20% or so are uncommon subtypes (eg candid glabrata). To treat the less common subtypes clinicians may try boric acid vaginally or even painting with a gentian violet (very messy!).

If these are truly reoccurance of candida albicans you might need repeat or prolonged treatments. A blood sugar or hemoglobin A 1C test can be considered to rule out diabetes. unlikely. If you have ever had someone give you oral sex (or you use saliva for masturbation) you may be getting exposure to yeast. Yeast is present in the gut from the mouth to the rectum.

You can certainly try the so called life style treatments for yeast Additional lifestyle methods, which have been advocated for "yeast infection prevention," include: a diet low in refined sugars and simple carbohydrates, avoidance of tight jeans, use of cotton underwear, eating natural lactobacillus yogurt, and others. There are few, if any, good research studies which demonstrate that these methods are helpful, but some women swear by them.

Given that you are still having severe symptoms I woudl urge you to return to your GYN or clinic for follow up. Unless yeast is overtly present on the microscopic slide test, a yeast/candida culture may help find a diagnosis and direct treatment.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.