Skip to content
HCG Levels went down then back up..... hope??
tatum303 posted:
I should be 7-8 weeks along now (depending on if you go by my lmp or my first u/s). My levels were at 38,433 this past Monday, then 38,683 on Wednesday...... then 36,716 on Friday and back up to 37,686 today. The doctor said on Friday I would m/c after not being able to see anything but a sac on the u/s, but now that the HCG levels have gone back up, is there hope??? Or is this normal before a m/c? Anyone had this happen? I've scoured the msg boards but can't find anything quite like this. I've had absolutely no spotting or bleeding whatsoever. But he said there should be something there for the size my sac has grown to.

Anmar22 responded:
I don't want to scare you but I had a m/c at 11 weeks but the baby stopped growing at 6-7 weeks. I didn't start having signs until about 10 weeks along. First spotting then cramping. I think they call it a missed m/c. By 8 weeks you should be able to see a hearbeat. Your numbers look really high and they went back up, so maybe that's a good sign. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

tatum303 replied to Anmar22's response:
Well, I was told I was miscarrying last week, but refused a D&C. Then yesterday, he found 2 sacs (yes twins) on the u/s although there are still no heartbeats yet and HCG levels dropped again (around 25000 now). Another hcg level is to be done tomorrow. So we are hoping and praying for a miracle at this point. I will update this with whatever happens to hopefully help someone else in the future.

tatum303 replied to tatum303's response:
UPDATE: The second set of levels that week were even lower: 18000. I was giving up hope at that point. An hour before I was scheduled to go in for my next ultrasound a week later, I started bleeding. However, he went ahead and did the ultrasound and finally found a heartbeat, but only one. There were definitely two embryos there at that point. So I'm going back in for another u/s Wednesday, but I have been bleeding and cramping ever since the last u/s. I will update this as soon as I can, and throughout this pregnancy in the hopes of helping someone else going through this as I have not been able to find a similar story in the internet. My doctor now places the pregnancy at 6 weeks (which really isn't possible as I took the hpt exactly 6 weeks before he said that) and that we are "throwing out the textbook" on this pregnancy because he's never seen anything like it.

Myz3nigma replied to tatum303's response:
Hi Tatum,

I understand your trepidation at this point, I hope it can all work out the way it's supposed to. Your story sounded kind of familiar to me, I had to read your update to be sure.

Back in 1994, my sister, Stephanie, was going through an ugly divorce and moving back to the midwest from the west coast. She was pregnant, but the baby didn't belong to her soon to be ex; now ex husband. She thought she was having a miscarriage at 8 weeks, the doctor couldn't see a heartbeat and her levels were doing the same seesaw yours did.

What they finally figured out at the 11 week mark, was that she was pregnant with twins and miscarried one in utero, it caused bleeding, mild cramping, but there was a strong heartbeat, the twin was blocking the US view.

They did the same re-estimating of her due date as well and she gave birth to a healthy 8 pound girl, but like a month after she thought she should have. Her periods were so irregular that it was hard to get an accurate due date.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Helpful Tips

Fish Oil Caps
I take triple strength fish oil capsules (1400 mg) for heart health, and it has the added bonus of improving moisture in the eyes and skin. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.