Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Do antibiotics interefere with the mirena iud?
mygirlsrmyworld2515 posted:
I was just wondering if antibiotics interfere with the mirena iud? I had surgery August 13th and they gave me antibiotics (IV) because of a heart condition I have.

georgiagail responded:
Although there is often concern regarding antibiotics and hormone containing birth control agents, in reality very few antibiotics have been shown to decrease the effectiveness of these agents. One of them, Rifampin, is typically used to treat tuberculosis and would not be used to prevent an infection following surgery or (as in your case) as a preventive measure with surgical procedures.

Gail

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear mygirlsmyworld: Gail is correct (as usual). I wanted to add that the Mirena works by two mechanisms. First, the mechanical presence of the IUD. Antibiotics wouldn't impact that factor. Second, the synthetic progesterone which keeps the lining of your uterus very thin add extra contraceptive protection. Unlike birth control pills/patches/rings the synthetic progesterone is in direct contact with its target tissue so systemic medications are even less likely to change hormone levels as they pass through the blood stream and liver.

Thanks for asking an important question which can be of help to others.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

Thickened endometrial lining
Hi I am 52, stopped my periods 5 months ago - assumed menopause, feeling very bloated for the past 3 months - doc ordered hormone test - ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.