Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
period over a month late with negative pregnancy test
mom_lost_confused posted:
OK MY PERIOD IS OVER A MONTH LATE. I TOOK 3 PREGNANCY TESTS IN THE PAST WEEK AND THEY ALL CAME BACK NEGATIVE.I HAVE BEEN FEELING NAUSEOUS, HEADACHES, AND EMOTIONAL. I HAVE HAD CLEAR MUCUS DISCHARGE AND NOW THE DISCHARGE IS A LIGHT PINK COLOR BUT YET NO SIGN OF MY PERIOD. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME??

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear mom: The most common reason for a menstrual pattern like you have described is not having had an an ovulation last month. In a normal cycle, estrogen is produced all month. Estrogen is responsible for building up the lining of your uterus so you have something to shed each month.

In a normal cycle, progesterone production increases following ovulation and release of an egg.. Progesterone "stabilizes" the uterine lining in preparation for a possible implantation of a new pregnancy. If you are not pregnant that month the levels of estrogen and progesterone fall, triggering the release of the uterine lining—your period. So, if you do not ovulate, the estrogen build up of the lining continues, but without the usual ovulation associated progesterone. Thus, the hormone levels don't decline, and the lining stays up inside the uterus—your missed period.

Causes for not ovulating are multifold: thyroid problems, pituitary problems, ovarian cysts, physical stressors (eg sudden increases in exercise, crash dieting), emotional stressors (problems with work, kids, partners, money), increased body weight, anorexia, rotating shifts at work, etc.

Generally speaking the nausea and vomiting of pregnancy are presumed to start about four weeks from conception. Some other causes of nausea and vomiting are viral, or bacterial, infections in the bowel. Appendicitis, or problems with the gall bladder or pancreas, can provoke nausea. Neurologic conditions such as migraine headaches or increased intracranial pressure can induce nausea. Even severe emotional or physical stressors can make one queasy.

Is your pregnancy test giving you a "false negative' result when you are in fact very early pregnant? In this instance the false negative can arise from three problems. First of all check the box to be sure that the product has not expired or shows visible signs of damage. Second, check to see if the sensitivity of the test purchased is 20 international units of pregnancy hormone (HCG). If it is more than that, it could be less sensitive to low levels of HCG. In this instance might wish to wait until at least a week after the missed period so that HCG levels are high enough to trigger a "true positive". Third, and least common problem, would be a missed miscarriage. If there was an early pregnancy, which was then lost but has not yet produced bleeding, the pregnancy test would return as "not pregnant". This is a difficult diagnosis to make. The most conclusive way to confirm a miscarriage is to have sequential blood pregnancy tests which show dropping HCG levels in amounts which may be too low for a standard urine test to detect.

To summarize, there are many conditions which can produce "pregnancy symptoms". If one continues to have such symptoms, despite a negative pregnancy test, it is best to see your GYN or clinic and get some additional testing.

Yours,
Jane

mom_lost_confused replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thank you Jane. But i have had false pregnancy tests with my last two pregnancies. I have decided that if my period does not come by next week i will be going to see my GYN. But thank you for your expert advise.

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
50 of 100 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.