Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Having one ovary removed
An_196137 posted:
I am having a hysterectomy and am having one ovary removed how will this effect my sex life and will I still go through menapaulse

renalupie1 responded:
Hi, I just had a hysterectomy about 3 weeks ago. lost one ovary. My doc said that it will take a few months, but the ovary that you keep will increase production of estrogen and make up for the lost ovary. I will expect to go through menopause as usual then. I feel wonderful since the surgery. So glad I did it.

Not allowed to have sex yet, but so far, the "desire" has not gone away. LOL. Got the date marked on the calendar. LOL.

good luck!

someonewhocares3 responded:
There's a good chance it will negatively impact your sex life. If you have uterine orgasms, you will no longer experience them. This was a big loss for me as clitoral orgasms pale in comparison. Plus, the nerve damage (due to the nerves at the base of the uterus that are severed to remove the uterus) can cause diminished sensation to the pelvis, clitoris, genitalia, vagina and breasts (I lost almost all breast sensitivity). There no way to know what the effect will be on you. Here's a discussion of sex after hysterectomy - http://forums.webmd.com/3/sex-and-relationships-exchange/forum/5494/15#15 .

Plus the loss of the uterus has other lifelong permanent adverse effects, some of which are silent (e.g., increased heart disease risk).

Even if one/both ovaries are kept, the loss of blood flow can cause them to fail further increasing risk of all-cause mortality.

Read my post here that contains the facts about hysterectomy - http://forums.webmd.com/3/gynecology-exchange/tip/47/1?@guest @.

Most female issues can be treated without removal of any organs yet many gynecologists recommend hysterectomy because that's what they know/do and it's quite lucrative ($17 BILLION per year). I don't know your "diagnosis" but sometimes watchful waiting is the best approach.

Post back and let us know if you're successful finding an alternate treatment.

georgiagail replied to someonewhocares3's response:
Ran out of new posts regarding this surgery and now fishing for older ones?

The second poster is correct; when one ovary is removed, the remaining one will typically "make up the difference" in terms of increasing estrogen and releasing eggs. And yes, at the appropriate age you will enter menopause.

Gail

someonewhocares3 replied to georgiagail's response:
I don't consider a post from 2 weeks ago to be old. Of course, as fast as a lot of gyns try to get women into the operating room, 2 weeks MAY be too long for me to make a difference!

DIAMOND772 responded:
I REALLY DON'T HAVE NO PROBLEM I STILL HAVE ORGASM I HAD MY LEFT OVARY REMOVE AND MY UTERUS.BUT I STILL HAVE MY CERVIX.I WAS SCARED TO

An_196138 replied to renalupie1's response:
Please do not let anyone discourge/scare you. You will be fine with one ovary.

smjpain replied to someonewhocares3's response:
I agree with georgiagail somewhocare3's you need to leave us alone and stop scaring the ones who have not had the surgery yet I am 2 months now after my surgery and I am almost 100% pain free and even though I am not sexually active because I can't because of my Lichens being so bad I still have otherways of pleasure and I would have to say it is alot better feeling then when I had my organs in there. You need to get some physchlogical help please do what we ask and stop responding to people who are about to have a Hysterectomy or who have had one.I am sorry for your complications but you never really explained what happend

An_196139 replied to smjpain's response:
I had one ovary removed when i was a little girl. I'm perfectly fine.

someonewhocares3 replied to smjpain's response:
smjpain,
I have told my story several times here. Just 3 weeks ago, you asked me to explain what happened and I responded. Here's a link to that discussion - http://forums.webmd.com/3/gynecology-exchange/forum/22539 . Bottomline - I was rushed into surgery and gutted for a benign ovarian cyst by my gyn of 20 years.

My hyst was 5 years ago and I'm still struggling with the aftermath despite being on HRT - RAPID aging (major hair loss and skin thinning and sagging within just 4-5 months post-op), bowel problems for which there's been no diagnosis, suicidal depression and anxiety, insomnia, loss of stamina, loss of libido, arousal and response, loss of loving feelings, lack of concentration and motivation...basic loss of joy for living. And now I have to deal with the physique consequences (thickened waist and back and hip pain as my spine compresses due to the 4 sets of ligaments that were severed to remove my uterus).

Granted I only had one day of pain prior to my surgery unlike you who've dealt with chronic pain for years. Glad your pain has resolved and hoping your outcome is better than mine.

someonewhocares3 replied to An_196139's response:
Yes, the other ovary usually takes up the slack for the missing ovary when the uterus is still there, especially in younger women. I had a friend who had an ovary removed in her early 20's. Her gyn told her that the other one would probably take over and she'd have normal monthly cycles but that it was possible that it may not pick up the slack and she would have trouble conceiving. She ended up having normal cycles and two healthy children despite having endometriosis. That was 30 years ago.

However, when the uterus is removed, the ovaries fail in about 40% of cases due to the loss of blood flow from the uterus. When the ovaries continue to function after hysterectomy, studies have shown that menopause occurs about 4 years earlier than average.

An_196140 replied to smjpain's response:
I agree!

privateposter responded:
I had one ovary removed and now I have aged 10 years. I use to look young for my age and get compliments all the time. Now when I say my age people just say "oh" rather then "no way! WOW!"

privateposter replied to privateposter's response:
I also cant loose any weight and gain weight just by looking at fattening food. The lose of my ovary has really screwed up my more then what was perfect system.

Anon_6061 replied to privateposter's response:
privateposter - Did you have a hysterectomy at the same time or did the surgeon only remove the one ovary? I'm just curious because I have a friend who "only" had one ovary removed and the same thing happened to her. She aged overnight and has lost her quality of life. Her body went into surgical menopause. And all she had was a follicular cyst.

Another friend lost an ovary in early adulthood and the other one took over. Just goes to show that one can't predict the outcome. But I suspect removing an ovary is less risky in younger women. It seems though that ovaries are too often removed without much consideration to their endocrine effects.

Helpful Tips

Grandma all ready
Hi, I'm 57 years old and have 8 grand kids. I am bleeding pretty heavy, kid of like a period. I had a complete hysterectomy in 1978. What ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.