Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Hysterectomy and pain 7 months post-op
An_196176 posted:
I had an Abdominal supracervical hysterectomy with BSO in April due to a 10 cm cyst on left ovary and a 4 cm cyst on my right ovary. The cyst on my right side turned out to be a endometrioma which ruptured during the procedure. My doctor also told me that due to heavy adhesions he could not remove my cervix because it was adhered to my bowel and that I had stage 4 endometriosis.
I know some pain is going to be around months after the surgery but the last several months I've had some odd pains that my doctor is saying is normal. On my right side I get this pulling, burning feeling that is aggitated if I wear anything other then sweatpants. If I do a lot of walking it gets swollen and feels like it goes numb. I also have a bruised feeling that goes from my incision up to my belly button that is very tender if touched or I bump it on anything.
I was sent for a CT scan about 2 months ago to look for adhesions and the scan came back normal and nothing else was said about it.
Also I was put on premarin about 3 weeks after my hysterectomy due to menopausal symptoms.
My question is does this sound like normal healing pains from the surgery or should I have him look into it more? I don't want to be a pest if it's nothing major.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Anon: Gosh, a 10 cm cyst, 4 cm endometrioma, and massive adhesions--you must have needed a very long surgery. Were you aware that you had such severe endometriosis?

Your GYN did the right thing in searching for adhesions. You had adhesions (filmy bands of scar tissue that "web" structures together) found at surgery. Even having surgery can prompt new adhesions to be formed. Endometriosis is famous for causing adhesions inside the abdomen. Apparently no adhesions were noted on CT.

Another possibility would be ovarian remnant syndrome. When there are lots of adhesions it can be difficult to remove every little bit of ovary tissue. If a tiny bit remains it can grow with hormonal stimulation to produce a small ovarian cyst. Yet something of this nature would likely have been seen on the CT scan.

Another POSSIBILITY is that some of the remaining endometriosis (it is hard to find it all among the loops of small bowel) is regrowing. Endometriosis can be stimulated with an estrogen (eg Premarin), but you have only been on the estrogen for five or six months.

The numb area and bruised feelings may resolve in time. But if you are experiencing an increase in the right lower side pain over time that is something that needs to be re-evaluated. ..Hopefully that will not happen, and the nerves will heal with time.

In Support,
Jane

beccaf64 replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Thank You for the reply Jane.
The crazy thing is I never knew I had Endometriosis. No pains or symptoms.. The 4 cm cyst was found on an MRI of my lumbar spine. I was then sent for an ultrasound and that is when the 10 cm. cyst was found. After the surgery was over my ob/gyn told me I should have been bent over in pain.
I had an appointment with my ob/'gyn last month to discuss my premarin and I asked him about these issues and he told me it's probably just chronic pain. One thing I forgot to mention in the post above is there is one area that hurts if it's touched and that is the same spot my dog jumped on me 4 days after surgery. I told him about it at my 1 week post-op visit and he told me not to let the dog jump on me.. I'm wondering if that could be a cause of that area taking longer to heal then normal?
As for a possible return of the Endometriosis he is confident that he got it all so he's not even thinking in that direction. Could the lower pelvic pain be from the cervix being adhered to the bowel? I still get really bad gas cramps to the point of almost feeling sick to my stomach. It's like the pain I had after surgery. and I also get menstrual like cramps.. I guess my next step is keeping a log of everything to take with me to my appointment in April.

norawc replied to beccaf64's response:
The problems you're experiencing are not typical this long after undergoing a hysterectomy.

There is a good video that I think would help you. It's short, and it's called "Female Anatomy: the Functions of the Female Organs/anatomy.

Do you have a copy of the surgical and pathology reports? If you do, you can email or fax the reports to the HERS Foundation and a counselor will review them with you by telephone appointment. When there's a problem after surgery, reviewing what was done during the surgery, as well as the pathologic findings, often provides insight about what you are experiencing.

beccaf64 replied to norawc's response:
Thanks for the Information. I do have a copy of the surgical report but not the pathology report. I will watch the video. Sounds interesting.

An_196177 replied to beccaf64's response:
Here's a follow-up:
I went for my 1 year annual check-up and the doctor felt a mass in the pelvic area and he said he didn't know what it could be so he had me come back in on the following Friday and get an ultrasound. Nothing showed up on the scan but when she pressed the wand down on my stomach it hurt like an s.o.b enough to make me raise up over the table. BUT since nothing showed up on the scan no further testing to see what could be causing the pain is going to be done. I guess I just have to deal with the pain. I'm not happy about it but I very well can't force the doc to do something he does not want or intend to do.

An_253916 responded:
I know this post was awhile ago but I am having the exact same issues. I have. Had a ct scantily make sure I do not have a hernia and everything came back clear. My doctor has given me two trigger point injections into my abdomen . Again no relief and I have had reactions to the injections. Did you ever find out what was causing your pain? Did they come up with A diagnosis?

Helpful Tips

extended period
I have had a period for almost three weeks. The first week was normal with a lot of cramping. The second week was like when you are almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
52 of 102 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.