Skip to content
atheromatous calcification of the aortic arch
An_196225 posted:
had a chest ex-ray and the report said i had atheromatous calcification of the aortic arch. what does this mean?
is is the same thing as an aneourisim?
i have minor surgery scheduled in 2 weeks and this has me very scared

any imput will be very much apriciated.

Take the Poll

anyone ever heard of this?
  • me
  • the radiologist
vote
View Poll Results

georgiagail responded:
It means there are deposits (called plaques) in the aorta. Some of this is a normal part of aging.

This is not the same as an aneurysm which is a ballooning out of a blood vessel, weakening it and increasing the risk that it may rupture.

Gail

jakester5253 replied to georgiagail's response:
Radiologic detection of calcifications within the heart is quite common. The amount of coronary artery calcification correlates with the severity of coronary artery disease (CAD). Calcification of the aortic or mitral valve may indicate significant valvular stenosis. Myocardial calcification is a sign of prior infarction, while pericardial calcification is strongly associated with constrictive pericarditis. Therefore, detecting and recognizing calcification related to the heart on chest radiography and other imaging modalities such as fluoroscopy, CT, and echocardiography may have important clinical implications.
In patients with diabetes mellitus, by determining the presence of coronary calcifications, patients at risk for future myocardial infarction and coronary artery disease could be identified, and future events could be excluded if no coronary calcifications were present.
In an asymptomatic population, determination of the presence of coronary calcifications identified patients at risk for future myocardial infarction and coronary artery disease independent of concomitant risk factors. In patients without coronary calcifications, future cardiovascular events could be excluded.

dlcolo replied to jakester5253's response:
I had heart imaging done twice over 10 years because oof family history. Bith times my calcium score was 0%. I just had a chest xray in routine prep for an ortho procedure and it reads 'aorta is cacified at the arch.' It goes onto read that there is no radiogrphic evidence of an acute chest process. I am now confused, isn't the aorta part of the heart, shouldn't calcification have been seenon the two heart imaging procedures? Thanks

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.