Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Supplements
holiday123 posted:
I am a female, 51, and have just started taking supplements. I am taking a multi vitamin (which contains 1000 IUs of Vit D3; calcium 250mg), 1200mg of fish oil and calcium1000mg/magnesium400mg.
since my multi has 1000IUs of vitamin D3, i am not taking an additional vitamin D.
am i on the right track here? thanks

georgiagail responded:
On the right track for what?

Gail

An_196368 responded:
I think so, when you see you doctor check with him/her.

IMHO, I think a multi vitamin is a good thing. Sometimes we do not eat like we should.

An_196369 replied to An_196368's response:
I think we should perhaps place more emphasis on our eating habits rather than trying to solve everything with a pill.

An_196370 replied to An_196369's response:
I do too but some people cannot afford food that is good for them all the time.
Dr. Oz is all for vitams and he thinks you should take half in the morning and the other half at night.

georgiagail replied to An_196370's response:
So they spend money on supplements instead?? Doesn't seem to make much sense despite what the great and benevolent "Oz" might say.

The reason I asked "what right track" is what was the purpose of the OP taking these supplements in the first place? Some of what she is taking (calcium and fish oil supplements) are not vitamins at all (calcium is a mineral and fish oil is neither).

Wondered if there was a particular reason for what she chose to take.

Gail

An_196371 replied to georgiagail's response:
Supplement are not that expensive at Wal-Mart.

I think Dr. Oz shares a lot of good things with his viewers.

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear holiday and all: I concur, your own healthcare provider is the best judge of what you may need to take in a supplement. But having looked at the doses you have shared I wanted to add some input, OK?

This past week the prestigious Institute of Medicine released its new suggested guidelines for calcium and vitamin D intake. This report has taken well over a year to produce. The work group represents well respected researchers in nutrition, endocrinology, bone metabolism, pediatrics, internal medicine, and other disciplines.

For a 51 year old female the new dietary reference intakes for calcium are 1200mg calcium/day (upper level intake is 2,000 mg/day). Vitamin D dietary reference intake is now 600 I/U per day (upper is 4,000 I/U per day). These should encompass both dietary sources and supplement sources (and some sun exposure). Even without knowing your diet, you seem to be way fine in the supplement nutrients mentioned.

Lastly, in support of Gail's assertion. I would share a personal story about a woman who had a "routine" Vitamin D level drawn (routine because she lives in a northern climate). The patient took a generic multi-vit, one chocolate calcium chew, ate well (but no fortified liquid milk). Her result was a vitamin D level of 108. (Upper range of normal is 20-30.) Upon re-test (no supplements at all for 30 days) the level was still 70 something. So perhaps there is more to living healthy than we realize.

Best wishes to all for healthy eating/exercising and trying to reduce stress where ever we can.

Respectfully,
Jane

jk5493 replied to georgiagail's response:
Hi Gail and Jane,

Despite the most recent post being not helpful at all...(not yours Gail) I wanted to post and ask a question about supplements.

I'm a healthy (almost) 19 year old female. I eat a well balanced diet and am big on dairy and such. I also take vitamins per my doctors request. After being in the hospital for a while last year, they discovered that I was severely Vit. D Deficient. So, they recommended that I begin taking a supplement for that. So, I was taking 1-2000 IU of D3 each day on top of a multivitamin. I thought I was getting enough. when I had more labs done over Thanksgiving break, they found that I was still had a pretty large deficit. I'm almost finished with the 12 week round of 50,000 IU of D3...but, my question is this: what can be causing this? Is my body maybe not absorbing calcium or Vitamin D properly? I should add that back in August I had a pretty bad fracture to my heel. There was no reason for my heel to break - I was standing around talking to a friend, someone called my name, I turned and my foot popped. Wah-lah: calcaneal fracture. Not sure if it has anything to do with this...but, I know that I am too old for this! They suggested that maybe I had osteopenia or just a bad stress fracture that opened up. Anyhow, is there something I should be getting checked out?

Thanks,
Jade

ps. Just to 'follow up' from any previous posts of mine... I FINALLY started my period a week after provera. It's an odd sensation and painful, I might add, after not having one for 12 months!

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.