Skip to content
Expert, please-I am confused!!
nic14120 posted:
I am 24 weeks pregnant today with my 2nd. I was gestational with my son and controlled it with a diet. I had seen one ob at14 weeks who told me to get my glucose test at 20 wks. When I saw my reg ob, she said it was too soon, even with knowing I had GD before. I was testing sporadically on my own, and my fasting would be anywhere from 80-94. I had my montly yesterday and the other OB I saw at 14 wks said my #'s looked good, since my fasting was less than 100, where my reg ob said it should not exceed 80 (i believe,maybe 84). and 2 hrs after eating she said should not exceed 125. I have read online different standards. She told me to do the GTT at 27 wks. I am afraid of this uncontrolled time having any effects on my baby. I have been trying to do a gest diet, but can't recall it all. What is the right standard,. I read online that uncontrolled GD could cause risk of stillborn, which really scares me. Is that for really high consistent #'s??

georgiagail responded:
Your blood glucose levels are currently quite normal. You have not developed gestational diabetes at this point in your pregnancy. Typically normal fasting glucose levels can range from around 80 to 110. Your current levels would not, in any way, be considered "uncontrolled" and there is absolutely no risk of stillborn from these readings.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/blood-glucose

Gail

nic14120 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you, Gail! That is very reassuring! Is there any standard I should follow on when to be concerned, such as my @ hr exceeding a certain point, as well as my fasting. I only ask because my fast today after a little over 11 hrs was 104, and last night 2 hrs after I ate dinner it was 142. I thought I ate well by having a veggie burger, but I did have a roll and a salad with croutons. is it more of a concern for the baby if they were consistenly high over a certain period? Although Ive had it, I guess i don understand it and just want to do best for my baby. Do you know anywhere online where I could locate info on a possible diet to follow as I was not tested, so have not seen a nutritionist. I am so afraid to eat as I normally have and it make my #'s even higher and then have them be uncontrolled. my ob didnt seem concerned and didnt tell me to follow a diet until or watch my sugar, but it scares me as I am trying to eat low sugar, carb/protein and eat every 2-3 hrs with smaller meals, but I also don't want to get enough fat in my diet as well. I appreciate your info!!

georgiagail replied to nic14120's response:
You are correct; it is the consistently high levels that are a concern for the health of both the mother and the child.

Attached is a good article that reviews the principles of a gestational diabetic diet. There is no one specific diet plan to follow as each plan needs to be individualized to each pregnant woman:

http://pregnancy.emedtv.com/gestational-diabetes/gestational-diabetes-diet.html

You can certainly request a referral to a dietitian to help you plan a "preventive" diet approach to avoid any issues with gestational diabetes.

Gail

nic14120 replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you-it was very informative! In your educated opinion, how best should i proceed as i wont be tested for 4 weeks. should i eat as normal and test after 2 hrs, if my numbers stay high over a few days=meaning the standard of 125 limit, and then call my ob and maybe request the test sooner? i am fearful of going and eating based on my prev gest diet, limiting and omitting things until i test, and the test be altered and show i am not when in fact i could be if i frequently exceed the 125 eating pre preg wise. i hope this makes sense!!

Helpful Tips

itching
several years ago I had this same problem...intense itching in the vaginal area, but no discharge or odor. I saw several doctors who said i ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.