Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Bcps vs Mirena
Shanji1 posted:
Hello Nurse Jane, when I am on low dose bcps, I get moody, my behaviour is erratic and agressive and I have no libido. If I switch to the Mirena, will this improve?My Gyne told me that the hormones are a mere fraction of the bcps.I presently take Triregol, used to take Trinovum and Yasmin (that was the worst). My behaviour is the same with all of them, including the loss on libido. Please share your valuable advice. Thanks

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Shanji: It is true, with the Mirena you will be receiving only a small dose of systemic hormones (the synthetic progesterone and absolutely no estrogen). Libido is a very complex process. Yet with the average birth control pill (BCP) hormonal contributions to sex drive are be blunted via two mechanisms. The first is increased amounts of sex hormone binding globulin (Mirena does not have this since it does not have estrogen). The second is suppression of the LH surge which precedes ovulation at midcycle (Mirena is not designed to suppress ovulations).

In terms of mood swings and irritability/aggression it is more difficult to postulate the exact hormonal mechanisms. One POSSIBLE thing could could consider trying is as follows. There is a synthetic progesterone "mini-pill" called Ovrette which contains 0.075 mg of norgestrel (similar to the levonorgestrel used in Mirena. You could go on Ovrette and see if you have the severe mood symptoms.

Truly the only way to know for sure is to have the Mirena inserted. You should also look at the side effects mentioned by the manufacturer of Mirena to the FDA:

The most common adverse reactions ("2655% users) are uterine/vaginal bleeding alterations (51.9%), amenorrhea (23.9%), intermenstrual bleeding and spotting (23.4%), abdominal/pelvic pain (12.8%), ovarian cysts (12%), headache/migraine (7.7%), acne (7.2%), depressed/altered mood (6.4%), menorrhagia (6.3%), breast tenderness/pain (4.9%), vaginal discharge (4.9%) and IUD expulsion (4.9%).

Other relevant adverse reactions occurring in <5% of subjects include nausea, nervousness, vulvovaginitis, dysmenorrhea, back pain, weight increase, decreased libido, cervicitis/Papanicolaou smear normal/class II, hypertension, dyspareunia, anemia, alopecia, skin disorders including eczema, pruritus, rash and urticaria, abdominal distention, hirsutism and edema.

Shanji, perhaps other readers who have used Mirena will chime in about their experiences with libido and mood.

Yours,
Jane

Helpful Tips

an over the counter item that helps me
I like AZO "for PMS". It has natural ingredients. One time I got dizzy and had to leave church and go lay down in the car. Then went to a ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.