Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Gas stove question
nic14120 posted:
I am 29 weeks pregnant and last night my husband didn't shut the oven as he thought he did, and four hours later I woke to a heavy gas smell in my lower level. I shut the oven, opened the kitchen window and my bedroom window as well to ventalate. I still can smell the lingering gas smell, but I am so worried this could have hurt or can still hurt my baby. I have a co detector that didn't go off, but I am still so scared I breathed this in for hours. :(

georgiagail responded:
The biggest concern is carbon monoxide (well, other than an explosion which isn't an issue here). You mentioned that you have a CO detector and I'm going to assume it's working properly (i.e.,it's either wired in or the batteries are still "alive").

Such detectors are designed to go off when even a small amount of CO is detected; at far lower rates than what are harmful to humans. Because yours did not go off, it is unlikely that the oven being on caused a problem.

Remember that gas itself has no odor; the odor that we smell with a leak is an odorant that the gas company puts in to warn up of leaks. This odor tends to linger even when the room has been cleared of gas.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Grandma all ready
Hi, I'm 57 years old and have 8 grand kids. I am bleeding pretty heavy, kid of like a period. I had a complete hysterectomy in 1978. What ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.