Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Side effects of getting off of Depo Shot
Lesley1264 posted:
My last shot was injected in August and it is said that the medicine will wear off in about 3mths; which was November. I think that I may still be experiencing some side effect from getting off the shot. Does anyone know what are the regular side effects for getting off the Depo shot?

georgiagail responded:
What side effects are you experiencing?

Gail

Symone84 responded:
When I got off of Depo I felt like I was pregnant and had all of the signs like if I was.

georgiagail replied to Symone84's response:
Did you take a pregnancy test to see if you were pregnant?

Gail

ajohnson08099 replied to georgiagail's response:
Hi, I had the same things happen to me here lately. As far as I can tell having those symptoms are fairly regular with the depo shot. I even took two pregnancy tests because my shot was supposed to wear off in the beginning of December however its almost febuary now and I had pregnancy like symptoms and no period. (I have visited a dr, not pregnant) My dr told me it could be up to three months or more for my system to return to normal even off of one depo shot. So don't be too worried! If you think you may be pregnant do take a test. But these symptoms with withdrawal from a depo provera shot apparently are annoyingly normal.

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

dealing with anxiety and bipolor episodes
dont know how to cope with issues of everyday life without wanting to cry, or break down in depression, its addecting my marriage what can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.