Skip to content
Is your period flow ?normal??
Elaine Plummer, RN posted:
At some point, almost all women wonder how their experiences compare to those of other women. This is especially true during the teen years. When it comes to period flow, the range of "normal" can vary immensely for women of all ages. I'd like to address a few of the common concerns:

Is it normal for flow to change color?
Yes. The color can change from time to time. Menstrual blood that has passed to the outside shortly after leaving the uterus is brighter red than the blood that takes longer to reach the outside. Because of this, you shouldn't worry if menstrual blood isn't always bright red.

How much blood do I lose during my period and how fast does it flow?
The average is about two ounces - or four tablespoons. This could range from less than one ounce to a few ounces. The rate is like a slowly dripping faucet, one drop at a time.

Do heavy flow periods mean there's something wrong?
Not necessarily. Some women always have heavy periods - it's normal for them. Heavy periods are especially common the year or so after childbirth and in older women as they approach menopause.

Why do some women have spotting between periods?
Spotting refers to light bleeding for a day or two in the middle of the menstrual cycle. This is believed to happen because the woman has a temporary drop of estrogen that happens during ovulation. Mid-cycle spotting is normal for some women. However, if this is different from what is usually experienced, it is best to let your health care professional know about the change.

What are clots and why do women get them?
Menstrual blood can "clot" in the uterus and these clots dissolve before passing to the vagina. But for some women, the clots pass through the cervical opening to the vagina without dissolving. If a tampon is worn, the clots will either adhere to or be absorbed by the tampon and removed when the tampon is withdrawn.

Can fibroid tumors change the menstrual flow?
It's possible. Fibroid tumors could change either the duration or amount of menstrual flow. If that happens, be sure to choose the combination of tampon or pad absorbencies that's right for you.

In general, as long as your flow doesn't last longer than 10 days and you are not saturating a super pad or tampon within one hour, your flow is within normal range. If you feel uncomfortable with your menstrual flow, you should contact your health care professional and let him/her know what is going on.

So, let's chat about this! What's your flow like? Does the above information make you feel more "normal"? What concerns do you have about what you're experiencing or will experience? Please share your thoughts with the community.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
My fibroids definitely affected my menstrual flow. I had a large fibroid and before having it removed, it would go through a super plus tampon every hour to hour and a half. After I had it removed, my periods went back to "normal" meaning I could use the supler plus tampons for longer.

Elaine Plummer, RN replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
tlkittycat1968:
Other women have said similar things post fibroid removal surgery. For those considering surgery, it is helpful to hear what others have gone through and what their results were. Glad you are now having a "normal" period for you and thanks for sharing.

tlkittycat1968 replied to Elaine Plummer, RN's response:
I'm glad too and you're welcome. It was so bad that one year I wasn't able to go swimming at our annual family reunion because I was on my period and it was very heavy. Hated it.

aekellerman responded:
This is very good (although scary) information to know! I just turned 37 last week, and all throughout my life I have had the lightest and easiest periods (3 days max and have only had to use the lightest absorbency tampons) compared to any of my female friends. About a year ago I had one "bad" period with a lot of clotting. For the past 3 or 4 months, my periods will last about 5-6 days and for the first two days I literally soak thru the thickest pad in about 30 minutes. I don't even bother with tampons on these days. It's all blod clots, too. I just compared notes with my friends and have decided tomorrow I am making a GYN appointment!

Gracefilled_Child responded:
Hello - I agree with 'aekellerman' I too have recently experienced a total change in my menstrual flow. I just turned 45 and I think I am heading for menopause as my once very light 3 day periods have been 'acting strange' lol. They have always been totally predictable until last year when I starting getting the odd 'heavy' one.... with clots. I for the the first time 'skipped' a month in January and had one in Feb ( normal) but 3 weeks later I'm having 'as we speak' the heaviest period I've ever experienced in my life ( aside from when I mis-carried many years ago) - I do have a question for the Doc!!!! Does having your tubes tied contribute to earlier menopause???? Just wondered.... and also this period has been on for 4 days now- with each passing day I feel weaker and weaker on my feet which makes me think I may be aniemic??? What do you think?

svegas responded:
I Am 29 years old and am bleeding through a super tampon every 20 min..and I am not on any birth control and havent been for years..I Have always had heavy periods but nothing like this..I will be standing in the kitchen and in 15 min its Running down My leg...I take my Tampon out and its full and clotting.. Please help?

Elaine Plummer, RN replied to aekellerman's response:
aekellerman: Periods can change as our bodies begin to prepare for menopause. This time is called perimenopause and usually starts in the late 30s. However, as you describe the alterations in your period, it wise of you to schedule an appointment with your gynecologist. This way you can make sure that there isn't another reason for the changes you have described.

By this time you may have already seen you doctor. If so, I hope everything is ok and that your concerns have been addressed and your questions answered.

Best regards to you!

tlkittycat1968 replied to svegas's response:
Bleeding through a super tampon in 20 minutes is not normal. You need to be seen by your doctor ASAP to find out what's going on.

Elaine Plummer, RN replied to Gracefilled_Child's response:
Gracefilled_Child: Just saw your posting along with aekellerman's. By this time, I am hopeful that you have scheduled an appointment with your health care provider to get a check-up and to review your symptoms.

While you are in the age range to experience perimenopause (95% of women begin perimenopause between the ages of 39 to 51), it is always best to speak with your HCP to be certain there isn't something more serious causing the changes you are experiencing. Additionally, your HCP will have some suggestions and maybe medical options for you to consider that may help relieve your symptoms.

I hope you are feeling better.

Elaine Plummer, RN replied to svegas's response:
svegas: I suggest that you make an appointment to see your health care provider. This way you can determine if the change you are experiencing is a normal progression of your period to a heavier flow or if there is something else going on with your body that warrants medical treatment.

Until then, you can always use a menstrual protection pad to help prevent leaks, since you are already using a super tampon.

Best wishes to you.

artsyabi replied to svegas's response:
It sounds like you may have a bleeding disorder. I am a carrier of Hemophilia, and there are many other disorders, like von Willebrand's Disease, for example. If you are properly diagnosed, your problems ARE treatable. Check out the following link: http://www.hemophilia.org/NHFWeb/MainPgs/MainNHF.aspx?menuid=337&contentid=1565&rptname=women

caron13 responded:
like you said one drop at a time that is not what i have experienced all my life. for me its always been a flush like...i mean i loose around 2-3 spoons everytime i visit teh rest room and when i dont its just a regular 20-30 drops in every few mins. the first three days i have to use around two protection pads a day and one each on fourth and fifth day. is that normal or is it low?

i have had abortion in teh past and i was bleeding for almost two months and realized after a scan that the abortion was incomplete and had to go through a MTP again. now that am wanting to get pregnant am not able to conceive. is D & C required? what are teh chances that the procedure has scared me inside?

Elaine Plummer, RN replied to caron13's response:
caron13: Let's start with your question about your period. As I state in the article, some women always have really heavy periods. Sounds like that has been your norm for years. If you think there is something wrong, I hope you discuss this with your health care provider to get some medical insight specific to your situation.

About your post-abortion D&C, it is always possible to develop scar tissue after a surgical procedure such as that, though it is not common. Your concern, as it relates to your ability to get pregnant and your ongoing heavy flow, are reasons enough to visit a health care professional to get checked-out. Hope you are able to make an appointment soon to do that.

I am wishing you answers to your concerns and the very best health possible!

savvilouh98 responded:
I have a 'kinda heavy' period. It takes me about 30-45 minutes to soak through a S tampon and a panti liner. And it lasts about 7 days, although it's not as heavy on the fifth, sixth, and seventh. I am wondering if this is normal for a 13 year old.
Please reply

Helpful Tips

Fish Oil Caps
I take triple strength fish oil capsules (1400 mg) for heart health, and it has the added bonus of improving moisture in the eyes and skin. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.