Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Bump found inside vagina?
pk543 posted:
Hello, I am sorry but I do not mean this post to be graphic. When I am on my period, I sometimes check to see if I have left a tampon in before I insert a new one. Today, I found a bump inside my vagina where my tampon should be. I would have to say it is about 4 inches inside, and lumpy, and maybe the size of a nickel. It doesnt hurt, and has not during intercourse either. I am 30 year old female. Is this something I should be worried about? Do I need to see a doctor? What am I feeling down there?
Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear pk: The most common thing to feel would be the end of your cervix. It is at the back of the vaginal canal and feel firm like the end of one's nose. Often there are Nabothian cysts on the face of the cervix which can make it feel irregular or bumpy. (Nabothian cysts are clogged mucus secreting ducts--kind of like getting a clogged pore on your face). Less commonly you might be feeling a vaginal inclusion cyst. Yet these tend to be softer than the cervix.

Your best bet is to see your GYN and have them do both a palpation with fingers and a speculum exam to try and see if there is any type of cyst present.

BrandieHink replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Well,I have about the same issue but,I don't use tampons and my lump DOES hurt during sex. PLEASE could someone help me figure out what it could be? I know for a FACT that it isn't my cervix.It is off to the left side of my vaginal interior and doesn't bother me any other time.
Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP replied to BrandieHink's response:
Dear BrandieHink: Occasionally we find a cervix which is very much to the right or left of the midline of the vaginal canal. Yet, if you can feel your cervix AND this left sided mass then it maybe a vaginal inclusion cyst. Such cysts tend to be soft/squishy not firm like the cervix. Such cysts tend not to give rise to pain--usually the woman does not even know it's there.

You mentioned that your lump is to the left side of of your "vaginal interior." If that means that it is easy to see with a mirror you MIGHT have a Bartholin's gland cyst. These can be as big as a walnut and can be painful with intercourse. They are located at the bottom part of the labia. Here is a link for more information about this (be sure to click on the camera icon for a look at a picture once you get to the description):

Bottom line, if you have something which does seem normal,and especially if it is causing pain, it really needs to be seen to get a correct diagnosis. A GYN or even your local county family planning clinic, should be able to do this for you.


Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.