Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Loss of Hair
An_197179 posted:
I started losing my hair on the crown of my head ~ can Gluten be a reason for this? Also, have trouble losing weight?

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Anon: I could not find data that linked gluten intolerance to both hair loss and difficulty losing weight. Another hormone condition, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) can cause both those symptoms however.

This kind of hair loss is the most common type we see and is caused by either increased levels of male hormones ("androgens") or an increased sensitivity to the effects of male hormones. Because of links to male hormones, it is referred to as "androgenic alopecia" The gene which increases one's susceptibility can come from either the maternal or paternal side. It can begin in adolescence, but is most likely to be present as women age. After menopause women who still have their ovaries will have increased male hormones. Many of us are familiar with older women having increased, coarse facial hair, as well as thinning scalp hair, after menopause. While only 10% of premenopausal women will show this type of hair loss, 50-75% of women aged 65-70 years will (Scheinfeld, 2008).

Among younger women with "PCOS" the increased levels of male hormones can prompt increased facial hair, acne, and thinning hair over the crown of the head. While this is often referred to as "male pattern baldness" it does not progress to the usual shiny bald head one sees in men. Rather, the involved hair follicle replaces a lost long hair with a much shorter, finer hair. This can give a fuzzy appearance with the scalp clearly visible.

Treatments can include Rogaine 2% applied to the scalp. This is the only FDA approved medication for androgenic alopecia. A less expensive prescriptive option, spironolactone (Aldactone), pills may tried. Spironolactone 100-200 mg per day is given in divided doses to block the effects of androgens at the level of the hair follicle. In older women postmenopausal hormone therapy might be added as estrogen works to bind male hormones so they are less biologically active. Flutamide (Eulexin) is an anti-androgen drug that was found to be helpful in younger women (Cusan, 1994 & Carmina, 2003), yet it is not FDA approved for treating androgenic alopecia in women

Also Anon, low thyroid, and uncontrolled diabetes are two endocrine diseases which can be linked to hair loss. Anemia, specifically low ferritin stores, can prompt hair loss. Both hypothyroid and diabetes can be linked to difficulty losing weight.

If the hair loss is starting to be significant I would urge you to see a dermatologist. There are even some dermatologists who specialize in female hair loss. The would have the expertise to give you the most for sure answer.

Yours,
Jane

Shaniatwain427 responded:
Generally, hair accident in patches signifies alopecia areata. Alopecia area about presents with abrupt hair accident causing patches to arise on the attic or added areas of the body. If larboard untreated, or if the ache does not acknowledge to treatment, complete alopecia can aftereffect in the afflicted area, which is referred to as alopecia totalis.

hair transplant in MUMBAI

davidsontracy93 responded:
I agree with Jane that PCOS can be a cause for hairfall in women. PCOS causes zinc and magnesium deficiency in the body which ultimately leads to hair fall. I faced this problem and finally had to get a hair restoration done to combat this problem.

Helpful Tips

Irregular menstrual cycle
My daughter has been passing dark blood for over 10 days now. There are clots involved and the blood shed is between a very heavy flow and ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.