Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
My Period and Sinus Infections/Flu
katien1221 posted:
For about the past year about 1 week to a few days before and while I have my period I am seemingly out of commission due to an insanely intense sinus infection. It always just hits about overnight without warning. I get a horribly sore throat, fatigue, weakness--like I had just worked out, loss of voice, sinus pain and other symptoms.

Nothing helps relieve the suffering I face during the days and on occasion weeks I may suffer, but it's always right before my period.

I mentioned to my family doctor that I was noticing this pattern but she brushed it off completely and wasn't interested in discussing it further.

It causes me to miss days of work and currently I do not have health insurance which is only frustrating me more.

If anyone out there has ideas/suggestions or experiences like this can you please share? I'm at a total loss...

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear katien: Other women have written to us with similar symptoms of premenstrual sinus problems. One opera singer wrote us to complain about premenstrual voice changes. Yet, MULTIPLE literature searches at the National Library of Medicine site failed to yield any published data about this. Thus the following is just my best GUESS.

I would wonder if this is a variation on the fluid shifts which happen premenstrually. Most women experience fluid retention as "bloating" in hands/feet/breast/abdomen. Natural progesterone is a mild diuretic. In a normal cycle progesterone peaks about cycle day 21 then begins to drop. The most abrupt drop is about 72 hours before flow.

While I could not find anything specific to sinus, here is a case report from the National Library of Medicine site about severe symptoms which resolved when hormonal variability was eliminated by the use of a drospirenone type birth control pill:

Gynecol Endocrinol. 2005 Nov;21(5):243-7.
Drospirenone in the treatment of severe premenstrual cerebral edema in a woman with antiphospholipid syndrome, lateral sinus thrombosis, situs inversus and epileptic seizures.

Vujovi 107 S, Zidverc J, Stojanovi 107 M, Penezi 107 Z, Ivovi 107 M, Duki 107 V, Drezgi 107 M.

Institute of Endocrinology, Clinical Center of Serbia, Beograd, Serbia and Montenegro. vujovic@EUnet.yu
Abstract

We report herein the case of 32-year-old woman with situs inversus, thrombophilia, antiphospholipid syndrome and severe premenstrual syndrome (PMS) with cerebral edema and epileptic seizures prior to menstruation. Seven days prior to regular menstruation she developed severe PMS, including headache, blurred vision, epileptic seizures, urinary incontinence, craving for food, depression and irritability. Papilledema was detected. Daily hormone analyses prior to and during menstruation confirmed an ovulatory cycle with extremely high progesterone, prolactin and insulin levels in the late luteal phase. From day 29 to day 31, progesterone and insulin decreased sharply and the estradiol/progesterone ratio changed, leading to epileptic seizures and the peak of her symptoms. Diuretic treatment was administered. All symptoms disappeared during the first few days of menstruation. A novel oral contraceptive, containing ethinyl estradiol and drospirenone, an antimineralocorticoid progestogen, was given during the next cycle and hormone analyses were repeated. All symptoms were reduced significantly and no cerebral edema and epileptic seizures occurred. This is the first report of a woman with severe PMS and cerebral edema being treated successfully with an oral contraceptive containing drospirenone.

Katien, you might ask your MD or clinic about a three month trial with this type of birth control pill. They are now available in both 20 and 30 micrograms of estrogen low dose formulas--and generic versions are available as well.

Yours,
Jane

JenBen001 responded:
This is crazy. I have this same thing happen just before my period. I have it right on cue 3-4 days before my period. Thank goodness it only lasts that long because its horrible. I take large doses of ibuprofen and acetaminophen for it but it only helps a little. Glad I'm not the only one.

NurturingMom247 replied to JenBen001's response:
Sinus infections happen to me too, premenstrual. I have to take sumatriptan/Imitrex for migraine relief too. It feels awful. I read the info from Nurse Jane above, and I notice she found information from the Endocrinology dept. I'm going to see an ENT today, I've been told it might be my tonsils or my deviated septum. I'm thinking it's hormonal, but I'll try anything at this point! Do you JenBen001 still have your tonsils?

Helpful Tips

might be pregnant in 3 months rubella vaccination?
My wife is vaccinated rubella vaccine, doctor was note "she is not pregnant within 3 months". If she's pregnant in that time, what is ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.