Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Thick endometrium 15mm 4-5 days after menstruation--pregnant?
An_197408 posted:
Hi,

I am 22 years old and I had the below US findings abour 4-5 days after my last period:

"The retroverted uterus is normal in size, contour and echopattern. It measures 56x40x40mm. The endometrial stripe is thickened with full thickness of 15mm. No focal mass is noted. The cervix is unremarkable.

The right ovary measures 27x20mm. The left ovary measures 26x21mm. Few small follicles are noted in both ovaries. No adnexal mass is seen. No free fluid is noted in the cul de sac."

Could the thick endometrial strip mean early pregnancy? if so, how early?? And should I be worried with the above findings?? Please help...really worried about this...

Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP responded:
Dear Anon: Alas, the endometrial stripe (also known as endometrial echo) measurement is not exact enough to be diagnostic. The thickness can only suggest if the lining of the uterus is unusually thickened or super thin--based upon the woman's place in her menstrual month.

If your ultrasound was done 5 days after your last period ended (and you have a five day flow) that would make you cycle day 10. This would be about 2/3 of the way through the follicular phase. As a general guideline, the thickness is often around 8 mm.

So what would a 15 mm thickness mean in a 22 year old? Here are some POSSIBLE explanations:

1. Your prior period was not preceded by an ovulation. Some women can have generally regular cycles, but still not be ovulating every month. This can lead to a built up lining.

2. A lining can appear too thick if there are multiple polyps of the uterine lining. However, this is more common in older women...and the lining may look heterogenous or irregular (no mention of this on your report).

3. There could be a measurement error.

4. Early pregnancy, but this would be easy to determine with a simple pregnancy test.

I would urge you to ask your important question of the GYN or clinic that ordered the ultrasound. There must have been a symptom or reason that it was done. That could hold the key to the correct explanation. ...You are correct, the rest of the report looks totally normal--and now you know that your uterus is retroverted (angled back slightly like 30% of us).

Yours,
Jane

smintgirl replied to Jane Harrison Hohner, RN, RNP's response:
Hi Jane!

Thank you very much for your very useful reply....

Went to consult an OB earlier and she sad that the findings are normal. The US was ordered since I had spotting on day 7 of my cycle...the OB said it was because of my thick endometrium lining...and to wait before my next period so she can put me on the pill to regulate it...

if it does mean early pregnancy, would it be possible without the corpus luteum finding? The US findings said "few small follicles in both ovaries" instead...so does this mean that since the follicles have not yet turned into the corpus luteum, I have not yet ovulated? I just found this online a few hours ago and forgot to ask my OB...

please help...im really worried..

smintgirl responded:
The ultrasound was done on my 9th day....and the OB did not really mention anything about early pregnancy but i just read somewhere online that it could be a cause of endometrial stripe thickening...

would also like to ask what are the implications of a retroverted uterus?

thankss...

Helpful Tips

Thickened endometrial lining
Hi I am 52, stopped my periods 5 months ago - assumed menopause, feeling very bloated for the past 3 months - doc ordered hormone test - ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Below the Belt: Women's Health - Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, RNP

From HPV to irregular periods to PMS to fibroids, Jane Harrison-Hohner, RN, is here to share her knowledge and insight...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.